New
Find
Notify
Tools

Test submission
 Login/Join 
<Chris White '60>
posted
Anybody remember the "Old Theater" at JUSMATT?

The 16MM Movie films sitting on folding chairs?

The Sat. night square dance?

posted Hide Post
Wasn't the U.S. movie theater downtown?

<Chris White '60>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Larson '70:
Wasn't the U.S. movie theater downtown?

Not in 1957...........

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris White '60:
Anybody remember the "Old Theater" at JUSMATT?

The 16MM Movie films sitting on folding chairs?

The Sat. night square dance?

The movie theater the dormies went to was in the same building where teen club was,in 1966.

Posts: 16 | Location: California | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Before and after my time as a dorm student from Istanbul in 1965 or rather, too long ago for me to remember where the theater was! Cheers to the folks who have worked hard to put all this together, Ellen

Posts: 1 | Location: Troy, AL | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With Quote
<George Summers '57>
posted
In '54-'56 is was JAMMAT but the movies were seen in wood folding chairs and, yes, square dancing on Saturday nights, if you went with your parents. We much preferred to spend Saturday nights at Luna Park. Church was also held in the same room as the movies and the PX was in the same building (another wing). I read in one of the other threads about gyms and rooftops. I guess things changed. In my time we went to school in a two story house outside the wall of JAMMAT (school year '55-'56). We did have a basketball goal on the dirt play area outside the front door. That was the new building. The year before we were in another two story house over behind the old guest house/snack bar. It was still fun.

Any real old timers out there?

George

posted Hide Post
In the '56-'57 school year seems like it was a three story house. Maybe because we eighth graders were in the basement. Lunch was spent in the yard sitting on a wall looking over at the apartment house we were all told was a government sponsored house of ill repute. The "ladies" would be just getting up and coming out on their balconies to hang laundry or just to hang out.

It was fun - school was taught by the spouses of people who just happened to be stationed there. Made for some crazy teachers!

Susan

posted Hide Post
The theater was still in the JUSMMAT auditorium in 1970 - 1972. Except it had padded metal folding chairs - with kneelers for the chapel services on Sundays. Must have done away with the square dances by then. May not have been the same building by then!

Are JUSMMAT, JUSMATT and JAMMAT all the same thing?

Posts: 12 | Location: Orlando FL | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As I remember it, in 1966 the movie theater, which doubled as a place for church services, was in the same building as the hobby shops. I don't remember the teen club being in that building.

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
During the summer, the movies were shown outside on the folding chairs. Did anyone play tennis on the red clay courts?

Posts: 49 | Location: Prestonsburg, KY | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This memory thing really is interesting. From '64-'66 I remember going to movies in a rather elegant movie palace with a marble staircase leading down to the actual theater. I remember it because I was walking backwards downstair talking to somebody and tripped and slid the rest of the way down on my butt.

Posts: 10 | Location: Richmond, California | Registered: October 15, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used to go to the Turkish movies with our "house boy" I still miss the smell of Turkish tobacco and garlic. Not

Posts: 49 | Location: Prestonsburg, KY | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pat--i played tennis (badly) at a place with red clay courts--but it was called the Golf Kolubu (Club), sort of a Turkish country club waaay outside of town. We took the Turkish city bus for over an hour to get there as I remember. Some other Americans went there too. My dad played golf there. I especially remember going there the first summer we lived in Ankara, and didn't know anybody much. Besides a golf course (not the manicured kind like in the States) and the tennis courts (or maybe just a court), there was a little place to eat and a swimming pool. One day one of my brothers and my sister and I took the long, hot bus ride all the way out there, and I the whole way I just thirsted to jump into that refreshing pool. When we got there, there weren't many people there, and when we walked up to the pool, we knew why. It was a Thursday, and apparently on Thursday they cleaned the pool by emptying it! Kind of makes you wonder how/if they were filtering it on the other days. I remember my parents wouldn't let us go to any public pools, and this one was supposed to be safer, but you have to wonder. Anyway, I can still remember how completely bummed we all were that day. Spoiled children that we were...

Posts: 29 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mary--The courts that we played on were in the walls of JAMMAT or near by. Oscars(sp) raked and rolled them.

posted Hide Post
In '58-60 the movie theater (two flicks a week, changed Wed and Sat) was in the same building with the snack bar (upstairs). The Teen club had moved downtown to a 2nd story location....

Posts: 1 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: September 04, 2004Reply With Quote