Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Variety shows
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone remember the variety shows? Or the "slave sale" during the '64 - '65 school year? Or the pep rally in which Wray Woolley, Dennis Peebles, Bob Allen, Brad Gebert, and Todd Stewart dressed up as the cheerleaders?

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 13, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I remember the dorm follies and the "miss ankara"contest,65-66. the contest was held at the movie theater,and I think either Trish Tripp or one the Brady girls won. there was also a production of "Bye Bye,Birdie" in 1966.

Posts: 16 | Location: California | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's funny - I don't remember the follies or the Miss Ankara contest. The drama department or club did The Miracle Worker, probably in the spring of '65.

Melissa, do you have a sister named Melinda?

posted Hide Post
Merri --in the 1964-65 follies, didn't six of us do that dance where one of us was the "legs" of the creature in black, and the other was the "head and shoulders" and we did the dance to "Peter Gunn" -- it was you and Debbie and Rian and me and I can't remember who the other two of us were.... The follies were held in the theater. I can remember that Diana Casssada was the teacher in The Miracle Worker, and that I was the mother (turned my hair black for the play....) Suze

posted Hide Post
I've got a year book here and Meri Bird was the Queen of the 1966 Beauty Pageant. Bobbie Brady and Lisa Olsen were runners-up. Other listed participants were Malee Sirisambhand, Pat Viles, Bev Darnell, Linda Jones and Betty Kranz. I also see pictures of Sue Crocker and Nancy (dorm kid - don't remember her last name).

Posts: 10 | Location: Richmond, California | Registered: October 15, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
And, well, this may be a little frightening, but I've got this old scrapbook and in it is the program from the 1965 senior follies. Sue Talbot, Marty Renville, Debbie Stuck, Meri Scheibe, Rian Segrist and Carol Neighbors were in the "Peter Gunn" act.

Posts: 10 | Location: Richmond, California | Registered: October 15, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't know how I missed the posts from Sue and Chris 3 months ago, but I do remember doig the Peter Gunn thingy. I'd forgotten about it. I'd love a copy of the program, Chris! I remember you in the Miracle Worker, Sue; I did your makeup. I still have that program, by the way. Chris, in the Senior Follies was there also a performance by "Price's Girls"? It was a group Mr. Price put together, and I know Judi Poag and Vicki Preston and I were in it, as well as about three others.

posted Hide Post
Merri - Sometime in the next week I'll try to remember to photocopy the program and send it to you. It's pretty faint. Mimeographing didn't age well.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chris. Will you be in Dallas in August?

posted Hide Post
I kind of doubt I'll make it to Dallas. I've got a daughter starting college and I think I'll be pretty busy getting her started. Also, when I wasn't in the dorms my folks and I lived in Golcuk. There's a Golcuk reunion in Reno this fall and I'm going to that one. It's a way easier trip from the SF Bay Area, and the weather is better. Also, I haven't seen anybody from Golcuk, except Paula Gravelle, since 1964.

posted Hide Post
Where's Golcuk? I know Reno's easier from the Bay Area - my daughter used to live south of there, in Coleville. You'll enjoy the reunion, but I'm sorry you won't make it to the one in Dallas. Have you been to any of the others?

posted Hide Post
Chris:

My father was also stationed in Golcuk (the Turkish shipyard near Karamursel) from 67-70, and I was in the dorm those three years. My father and sister visited Golcuk a few years ago and recognized very little because much had been destroyed in the Izmit earthquake and tsunami and because of the rapid development there. We lived right on the bay, down the hill from the Goodyear compound in Degirmendere, a delightful little village.

Hope your plans change and you are able to make it to Dallas.

Doug

posted Hide Post
Merri, maybe you could tell from Doug's comments but Golcuk is, if I remember this correctly, about 75 miles from Istanbul, on the bay of Izmit, on the Sea of Marmara. There was a big Turkish Navy Base there and my dad was a civilian on loan to the Turkish Navy. Some folks who were stationed at Karamursel Air Station choose to live there, or near there, rather than on the rather ugly base. I did go to the Dallas reunion in '92. We Northern Californians are a wimpy lot. I've never been so hot in my life.

Doug, was your dad working with the Turkish Navy too? We left the summer of '66. We actually lived in Yuzbasilar, down on the water too. From the 50's up until 1964 there was a small American Navy detachment there. It closed down in 64 and only the civilians were left, and yes we were right down the hill from Goodyear. The last time I was in that area was in 1972 at the end of 4 months of bumming around Europe. The changes were small at that time. The aforementioned Paula Gravelle and her husband were back just before the earthquake and showed me pictures. All the beautiful cherry orchards had been replaced by apartment buildings. Then they all came down. And I know that parts of Degirmendere are under water now. If you are interested in finding out anything about the Golcuk group margiephillips923@yahoo.com is a contact.

<Fran Archibald '68>
posted
Hi Merri, it's Fran Archibald. I have enjoyed reading these news bits and I remember being in the Senior Follies, too. Brenda Hernandez and I did a modern dance (of sorts) to "Outter Limits" ("Out of Limits"?). We were dressed as "Moon Maidens"--in black with silver eye shadow and small silver horns. We were asked to do it for some sort of Turkish group and Brenda could not so I did it by myself. I will never forget being in front of a lot of Turkish men in my black shirt and tights! I messed up my timing, too. I was very glad to have it end! Hope all is well with you!

posted Hide Post
Hi, Fran. I can't imagine being asked to do what you were - and what were the teachers thinking to ask you to? The routine that we did at the Follies had us all in black with white gloves and shoes and something over our faces, maybe. The stage was dark and all you could see, supposedly, was the shoes and hands. I remember now that we did it, but have no memory of the performance.

What are you doing now?