AnkaraAlumni.net    The Network & Ankara Post Office    APO Ankara Post Office  Hop To Forum Categories  Remember When?......... or What? or Where?    What have you been doing for the last Lets See 1966 to 2004 40 Years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been doing for the last Lets See 1966 to 2004 40 Years
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not easy to synopsize that many years is it? Let's see....1969 to 72 the Army and 18 months of that in Nam. In Jan 73 I went back to Nam as a civilian for another 2 1/2 years (came out with the evacuation in 75). Traveling was in my blood and I stayed overseas mostly as a Defense Contractor with ITT Corp until 1989. Mid-east, Southeast Asia, Europe (NATO Countries) while maintaining a residence in Germany. Loved every second. Went back to Turkey and was lucky enough to travel and work the length and breadth of it. The AFEX was still downtown when I left George C. (It was just being built that year on Balgat)and the Dorms were turned over to the military for barracks. Returned to the U.S. for good in 1989, got married and now have a two step-daughters, one daughter (13 going on 19)and two grand kids. Life has been and is still good. Hope to see everyone next year at the reunion. Ciao!

Posts: 2 | Location: Apple Valley, California | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After being a dormie for four years 64-68, I went to Nepal for a year (trapped rats in the Western Himalayas) Returned to Ca for college off and on for 10 years. Graduated in 79, worked as an Angromonist until 02, had a stroke, now working on my teaching credential at Fresno State. Married in 84 have onr daughter Sasha, My wife Debby and Sasha live on a vineyard in a 100 year old tiny farmhouse, near the town of Kerman. I have a lot of photos of the dorms and it's inmates. Hopefully I will be able to post them.

Later
Rodney Bell

Posts: 17 | Location: Kerman, CA | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
<Terry Godbey '66>
posted
while in Ankara and at the GCM School..i met a wonderful teacher Ms Tindell (?) art teacher that encouraged me so much...when we left Turkey .. my parent's took us back to the states to Lexington,Ky..and i finished school. i wanted to continue with art and go on to college but was told i would never make the grades and i was always shy so i did not fight..the system and go one just to study art i listen to the counsler and got married... 3 times in fact.. worked all my life and raised 3 wonderful kids and have 1 grandson. i am still working and i gave up art...Turkey was a thrill for me in 2 aspects...i met the 19 yr old AF soldier i thought i was gonna see when i got back home..we continued to write each other and then he disappeared in Frankfurt Germany... and the art classes i thought i would continue with when i got back to the states...
life is funny...we all have our stories... good bad and the ugly... but for the most part.. i have my wonderful kids.. 2 boys and 1 girl and my grandson... so all is good... thank you for the thread...
teri

posted Hide Post
Rod, I'd love to see your dormie pictures. Where will you post them?
Merri Scheibe '65

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 13, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Left Ankara 1968, and back to Pittsburgh. Marine Corp 1971, got to help wind down Nam with an a-6 squadron. Stayed in the Corp for 8 years. Went to work at Cherry Point as an aircraft electrician. Still here waiting for retirement. In between times, married four times now. Great grandkids. Bush beer in a can! Amen!

posted Hide Post
After I left Ankara in summer '66 I returned to the States and went to university - Douglass College (Rutgers University) and Princeton University. Living in Turkey gave me an interest in the Middle East and I eventually went on to Oxford University (England) and did a graduate degree in Turkish! I now live in Engkand where I have been teaching in primary schools for twenty years. My husband is Englsih. We have three sons.

I've been trying to remember friends from Ankara - I was only at the High School for one year. I remember going to Peggy Fisher's wedding - must have been late 60s.

That's about it!

Posts: 2 | Location: England | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Attended Texas Tech University 1965-1969
Enlisted US Army 1970
Discharged 1972
Lived and worked in Washingto DC 1972 to 1977
Moved to Austin Tx 1978. At that time it was quite a boomtown.
Worked for State Civil Service for 6 months. What a disaster that was!
Worked as Data Control Clerk at Capitol National Bank 1978 to 1982.
Enlisted in Texas Army National Guard 1982 as Combat telecommunications Center Operator.Switched MOS to supply and
joined Military Reserve Technicial program in 1983 and worked full time for the Guard until 1995.I served in 249th Sig Bn, HHC 49th DISCom, and State HHC. Married in 1986. Two daughters one born in 1986, the other in 1989. Left the Technician program to be a full time Dad . Went to work for the Treasury Dept. in 1998. Retired from the Civil Service on Dec 31, 2005. Retired from the Guard on July 1, 2001. I now live in Oz, oops sorry, Austin. I have been married almost 21 years. We are active in our Church. We Square Dance a lot. I am also doing some Country/Western.I hope to be moving into either A Level dancing or Calling by next year if the oppurtunities present themselves.Austin never did meet its call to greatness. It is now a Balcanized collection of villages with mutually exclusive agendas. I am getting along ok I guess. Dad died in 2003, Mom is in assisted living. The long range plan calls for my wife and I to drift off to San Antonio and eventually live there.

Posts: 6 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ATTENDED IN LATE '66 AND EARLY '67, LEAVING IN TIME TO JOIN OTHER NATIVE CALIFORNIANS FOR THE TUMULTOUS TIMES THAT THE LATE '60'S WOULD YIELD. FIRST MONTH BACK IN MY L.A. HIGH SCHOOL, THE DOORS PLAYED A GIG IN OUR BIG GYMNASIUM FOLLOWED A FEW MONTHS LATER BY THE STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK. WOW, WHAT A RUSH! AFTER GRADUATING IN '69 I GOT MARRIED AND JOINED THE WORKING CLASS WHILE ATTENDING COLLEGE CLASSES AT NIGHT. JOINED THE BNSF RAILROAD IN 1977, FINALLY GOT A DEGREE, AND I'M PRESENTLY LOOKING AT RETIRING FROM THE RAILROAD IN THREE YEARS. SURE DO WISH I HAD A TIME MACHINE SO I COULD GO BACK AND CAPTURE SOME OF MY ANKARA MOMENTS: HANGING OUT AT THE AFEX AFTER SCHOOL, WEEKEND NIGHTS AT CLUBS LIKE KULUP 66, THE CAVE, WATCHING RHYTHM FOUR PLAY GIGS WHEN THEY CAME TO TOWN, BOB DOERSCHUK AND HIS BAND "ARTHUR" (WITH DRUMMER GAEL DECORTIVRON,ETC.), AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. BY THE WAY, I WAS A "TOWNIE" THAT LIVED IN THE GUVENEVLER DISTRICT. SORRY TO HEAR THAT THE DRUMMER OF MY BAND, "UNRESTRAINED VIOLENCE", PERISHED IN A HOUSE FIRE SOME YEARS AGO. NOT ALL OF MY DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS MATERIALIZED SINCE JOINING THE RANKS OF THE WORKING CLASS, BUT LIFE HAS BLESSED ME WITH SOME RADICAL REWARDS. OUR GENERATION SLOGANED ITSELF WITH "SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK AND ROLL". NOT ONLY DID WE SURVIVE IT, MOST OF US PROBABLY TURNED OUT PRETTY DAMNED GOOD. TODAY'S JOHN DUNLAP SUBSCRIBES TO "BEER, LAUGHS, ROCK AND ROLL"! WHAT A RIDE IT HAS BEEN...AND IT PROBABLY GETS EVEN BETTER IN THE FUTURE. SEE 'YA.

Posts: 1 | Location: Barstow California | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John:

You got to see The Doors live -- cool. Lived on their music in the dorms 67-70. My aunt and cousins live in Barstow. Aunt told me a couple of years ago that she knew someone who had attended Ankara High (aside from me and my sister). Must be you.

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 13, 2006Reply With Quote