AnkaraAlumni.net    The Network & Ankara Post Office    APO Ankara Post Office  Hop To Forum Categories  Remember When?......... or What? or Where?    What have you been doing for the last Lets See 1966 to 2004 40 Years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been doing for the last Lets See 1966 to 2004 40 Years
 Login/Join 
posted
We couldn't be this old.

I have been wondering what our Lives have broght us:

Some of the things that I would be interested in are:

What did you do out of High School - Job, Draft - Join the Military - Go to school or just bum arround.

What were we doing about every three years since most of us moved about every 3 years, Joined the Army for 3 years 11 Months and 19 Days, but who was counting when the discharge would come.

Married - Kids - Still married to same person or have you another significant other.

Divorce

College or Trade schools attended with majors

Significant events in schools

Did you get the Joy of serving in Viet-Nam

Are you aware of some our old classmates that may not have made it.

Businesses that you might of started or bought

Significant Illnesses or maybe some one who is experiencing an illness that we might be able to contact and give encouragement or Prayers or just a short note.

What would be some other topics that you would be interested in:

If we don't tell our lies, who will (Toot your own horn) or horney if that is the current vernacular. Dreaming or imagining or have you found the fountain of Youth that we all looked for earlier in our lives.

I am working on a couple of things along this view - What do You Think:

Dave Byers
daveb1220@comcast.net

Posts: 11 | Location: Olympia, WA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gets pretty bad to have to reply to your own posting.

No body have a story or is the world this bad

Dave

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Byers '66:
Gets pretty bad to have to reply to your own posting.

No body have a story or is the world this bad

Dave

Dave,
This could open a flood gate in responses. Our alumni are so deversified. Lawyers, brain surgeons, actors, screen writers, authors. We run the gammut<sp>.

My story... I left Ankara after graduating in "68". Went with the family to NJ. McGuire AFB. I avoided "Nam. Thank goodness. I became an auto mechanic for a time but couldn't make ends meet doing that so I became a factory worker. BASF Corporation. Been doing this for 33 years now. Worked my way through this division. As far as I can go without a degree. Now the purchasing agent. Great job. Next year I'm being forced into retirement. The site is closing to move to Mexico.

Been married since June of "70". Two kids. Boy,Girl. Now four grandkids (3G,1B).

Still love working on cars. I have a motorhome and love to travel. Haven't had much time for travel recently though. My pride and joy, 1977 Vette, was severely damaged this year when my other motorhome went up in flames.

I enjoy riding my motorcycles. Hope to be able to continue that for some time.

I still remember the day I found out about the Ankara School person search. My father found a note in the Air Force Times. I contacted Fran Archibald. Got the initial list of names. Life changed for me from that time on. The Ankara connection has been very strong since then.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After Ankara,my family moved to Bangkok,as my dad was in the Embassy in Saigon. We moved there with other families so we could see dads every three months or so. Left Bangkok in '67,back to Va,finished high school in Annandale,worked,went to school,moved to Fla. in 1972,went to U.South Fla in 74,moved to Calif. in 1975,worked and went to school at San Francisco State,graduated in 1980,degree in eur.history,really handy,and married in 1992,no kids,divorced in 1997. worked on and off,went to England five times.now working as a free lance photographer. lots of Ankara and Istanbul alumni in Calif. just had a mini reunion with 16 of them in Sept. have now lived in california longer than I lived anywhere else.

Posts: 16 | Location: California | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After Ankara...where I graduated, I went to CA. Married another Ankara person--Dave Annis of the rock band Arthur. We had a delightful child, moved to Oregon where I started teaching. In the early 90's Dave and I split. I eventually remarried and went to Alaska and taught with my husband for 9 years in an Eskimo village off the road system as they say--900 miles from the neares t road infact. Now I live in the San Juans islands of Washington and teach in a little one room schoolhouse on Shaw Island. And the beat goes on.
Sheila Gaquin
'67

Posts: 2 | Location: San Juan Islands | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Surprised my father, BSBA Clark University, MBA Babson College, CPA. CFO NYSE listed Co. Wife three children. Retired in June 2003. Drove my flats boat across the stream this summer and spent six weeks bonefishing in Little Abaco, Bahamas.

I'm so glad I found this site, Lots of long lost memories are slowly coming to he surface.

posted Hide Post
Enjoy reading all of the bios (even those of people I do not know). Real interesting. Keep them coming.

posted Hide Post
What did you do out of High School:

Returned to Spokane to go to School at Eastern Washington State College

Went to College

Lived in the Dorm until they threw out our whole floor for being to rowdy: Not Us.
We weren’t throwing beer bottles out at the dorm manager – we wouldn’t have wasted the beer. Honest, (yes really) it got knocked off accidentally.

Or maybe it was that we were showing stag films on the girl’s dorm. We got an award for that one. You know you loose a lot of detail when you only have 8mm film and a cheep home projector. Some of the Farm boys thought it was mating time for the steers.

We just moved into an apartment complex with 90% of the guys that were on the floor: Little did the manager know.???

Party hardy and Gee the Army is looking good for men who don’t quite keep the grades up where our parents wanted them.

I got offered an opportunity to go to Jr. College, Something about Grades vs. partying (The review committee just thought that the Jr. Colleges would be easier for us young people.)

After getting out of the Military

I Majored in Psychology (Wanted to find ourselves) Majored in Accounting (wanted to find out how the much it cost to find ourselves numbers crunched) Majored in Computer Science and education (Darn’ The GI Bill finally ran out and now I have to go out and only work two jobs instead of three.

BA – Oh, Yes, after coming home from Viet-Nam. Wiser and smarter, well lets not go that far.

But after my short experience of College for a year out of George C. Marshall –

Well, being the My country right or wrong generation I joined the Army – The offered me Warrant Officer Flight Option: 3 Years 11 months and 19 days one of our candidates calculated before we could join the airlines. He neglected to mention that not all of us may be around for that much time with Viet-Nam going on.

What a rush it was. A helicopter has been described as, 10,000 individual parts flying, hopefully, in perfect formation. Did someone neglect to mention that bullets tend to stop the formation?

Went to Fort Sam Houston for a tour and then a break – and Onward and upward to Viet Nam in the Central Highlands: (4th Div, 25th Div 3rd Bde and some things to this day are supposedly still classified. Have these idiots watched the history channel recently.)

Had a ball dodging bullets and artillery Shells and B-40 Rockets and RPG’s
Wicked little weapons: -I was led, sometimes, by stupid Super Bright Generals of the Future. (luckily for the troops, only in their minds) who did not know the difference between an air assault and friendly fire bases who, by the way, normally did not fire at us. unless we damaged their beer and soda pallets by dropping them to high)

I have a good friend who was in the Air Force with one of the groups that you see on the history channel, including his picture and identified that they were in Laos and Cambodia. He was a crew chief on Jolly Greens, and liked to tape record the intercom chit chat. He has the tape of when he was shot down.

He laid pinned under the bird for three days, poked with a bayonet and left for dead. Our magnificent military said, because we were not involved in the country that he was shot down in, they took his purple hearts away, (They were awarded to him at the Army evac hospital.)

There were 3 army guys that they had just rescued, in the same bird, who were wounded and were awarded the Purple Hears and the Army let them keep them.

Hope my letters and research work and he will get his purple hearts back. He never completed a tour in Viet-Nam after 3 tries. He did spend about 2 years in hospitals after his visits to South East Asia.

I don’t know why I am sharing this at this time, I think that for those who were able to miss this trip, really ought to think about how and why we are repeating our selves in Iraq. Every time I see the body counts I think about the friends and acquaintances that did not return whole from that war. It took me a lot of years to become a civilian after Viet-Nam. I do not wish to see any of our kids end up the way a lot of did after Viet-Nam.

I am reminded of the old Sergeant Major who retired when I got off active duty.
He told me that he had been in three wars.
After WWII – Everyone wanted to buy him a drink.
After Korea – Everyone wanted to drink with Him.
After Viet-Nam - Everyone just wants to argue and put him down.
What will it be after Iraq.

posted Hide Post
Wow Dave. Great story.

Hey Administrator or Hallmonitor. Do me a favor and change my "married" date on my post up top to "70" not "71" before my wife has a posting for me in "memorials"!

Never forget something like that or VN will seem like a cake walk.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger:
After you post a message, a pencil eraser will appear at the bottom of your posts next to the little folder. This will you to "correct" your post.

Posts: 49 | Location: Prestonsburg, KY | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great story Dave. I just "fought" in the Cold War in Places like Iceland(pun intended)

Posts: 49 | Location: Prestonsburg, KY | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I went to Beirut and got my MA in Middle East Studies. I also studied at Berkeley and UCLA.
I am in FL teaching ESL, College prep and Middle East Studies (on-line). I learned to play the alto sax and I play at my church and in a community band. I was married, have one kid, and I try to get back to Turkey on occasion.I want to go back to the ME as soon as I can.
dmagrath'67

Posts: 19 | Location: Daytona. FL | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Palmer '58:
Roger:
After you post a message, a pencil eraser will appear at the bottom of your posts next to the little folder. This will you to "correct" your post.

You are right Pat but that only allows a correction for 5 minutes or so. Then it locks the post in. I posted that the other day and while re-reading realized the error.

posted Hide Post
Roger:
Thats what I thought, but, found out that when you post the little "thingie" comes up on all of your posts.
Patrick

posted Hide Post
After Ankara .....departed summer of '66, dad sold the station wagon(became expensive dolmus), train to Istanbul, ocean liner "San Marcos" to Naples, SS United States to NY, new car to Ft.McPherson, Atlanta, Ga, dads' next duty station. I enlisted in USAF 1 NOV 66. Bases in USAF I have been station at: Lackland AFB, Tx ('66-'67); Sheppard AFB, Tx ('67); Incirlik AB, Turkey ('67-'69); TDY to Diyarbikir AS also; Naha AB, Okinawa ('69-'70); TDY to Okino and Miyako AS's also; Eglin AFB, Fl ('70-'71); Ft. Monmouth, NJ ('71); Warin Tandem, OL/A, Ubon AB, Thailand ('72); TDY to NKP AB, Udorn AB also; March AFB, Ca ('73-'74); I was in communications: telephone swithing tech, inside plant; wire maint; tech control. Got out of the USAF Aug '74, Enlisted in USN '74. Ships/stations: Great Lakes NTC, Il ('74-75); USS Proteus (AS-19), homeported Agana, Guam ('75-'76); USS Mahan, (DDG-42),home ported at Charleston NB, SC. ('76-'79); NRC Riviera Beach,Fl, ('80-'83); USS Brumby,(FF-1044) homeported at Charleston NB,SC. ('83-'88). In USN I was in Engineering, as Electrician's Mate, concerned with all aspects of power production, control, and distribution. Also as Engineer Watch Officer in control of ships engineering plant (power, propulsion, etc.) Retired as EMCS(SW)-(E-8).

Moved to Atlanta,Ga, to take care of the folks. Buried Dad in '91, Mom in 2004. (rest in peace!). Enjoying the retired life, I guess.

I have been lucky - been in over 41 countries, I think, lost count. Been deployed to the Med several times, North Arabian Sea, Atantic, Pacifc, and Indian Oceans, Caribbean sea, to name a few, - visited many countries.

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote