Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you ever eat a Smit?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am a die-hard cause I ate lots of simits and ice cream and just about anything else the street vendors were vending, and I never got sick from them (I admit now they did not even meet the minimum health standards).
There was a store/resturaunt in Virginia Beach, Va. were you were able to buy simits, gozus, yedi gun, visne suyu, and good turkish food. It got bought by someone else and all these good things went away. Frowner

quote:
Originally posted by Candy Andrews '75:
Man, you are die-hards if you ate simits from a street vendor. The dirty hands rummaging through the plate then rubbing their nose...ughh!

But, speaking of street vendor singing...how about cilik, cilik, cilik! for the strawberry vendor? And the taste of tarcun ci?

posted Hide Post
If you got to Orlando,FL.,try the Bosphorus Restaurant in Winter Park near Rollins College. I is quite authentic, Besides good Doner and shish, they serve hummus and taboulee and you can even drink ayran.They have Turkish TV on the wide screen as well.
dmagrath '66

Posts: 19 | Location: Daytona. FL | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is so good to find good authentic Turkish food in America.

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Magrath '67:
If you got to Orlando,FL.,try the Bosphorus Restaurant in Winter Park near Rollins College. I is quite authentic, Besides good Doner and shish, they serve hummus and taboulee and you can even drink ayran.They have Turkish TV on the wide screen as well.
dmagrath '66

posted Hide Post
My parents were civilians working for the turkish railroad. Therefore, we had to pay tuition to go to GCMRHS, and eat off the turkish economy, and buy turkish clothes. You name it, I ate it, and never got dysentary, or any other weird stomach ailment. Have to admit that doner kebab was my favorite.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 4 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Those were some nice photo's, but I wish they had been marked where they were at. Some things looked a little familiar, but, after 29 years gone, a lot has changed. I do remember meat markets like that one in the album. We use to buy almost all of our meat from the local butchers!

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What a blast. Those two mountains. In the fall, the snow would appear on the top, then later, it would snow in town. The coal smoke, the train whistles, what a memory.

Posts: 49 | Location: Prestonsburg, KY | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great photos. A lot has changed for sure but the familiarity of the homes brings back some fond memories.

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
4 sure, my sister and i never let the guy pass by our house without yelling at him to stop, just had 2 yell out the window...."Ssssaaammiiittaaaa" i used 2 eat them all the time.....along with a ton of other Turkish food.....even the Turkish ice cream...never got sick or what not.......how funny... Razzer...there was this other street vender that came around with this tray....can't remeber the name of the stuff he would scoop out of these troths with a screw driver and wrap it around a wooden stick...i wish i could remember the name of that stuff...it was like different flavor soft sugar....

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never ate the smit but over four years in Turkey I ate quite a bit of the baked goods and the ice cream was very good. The only problem I had with the food was a dorm picnic we went on in 66' when the Turkish cooks in the lunchroom fed us fried chicken box lunches that were awfull!!! I was sick for a week and it took me 10 years before I could eat another piece of chicken!!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Kennesaw, Georgia | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With Quote