Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French Fries and Mayo
 Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else still eating mayo on their french fries?

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I actually never tried it in Ankara but I have tried it since then and love it. Seems not a lot of fast food places offer mayo. Is there is Chick-Fil-a in CA? They have it. Also Arby's offer horseysauce. A combo of horseradish and mayo. GREAT on everything including fries.

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
...I don't have any problems with it. I just say, mayo on the side please, and they bring it. There is a place here called In and Out Burger, they don't even have mayo at that Drive-in at all. I can't believe that, but their burgers are very good too, so I guess that doesn't matter.

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
<Vicki Preston 65>
posted
I've been asking for mayo "on the side" for years - thought it was my own quirk, but probably started using mayo in Ankara along with everyone else at the AFEX. It was a wonderful time for me. I always regretted leaving after graduation rather than staying one more year with my folks.

I am also enjoying the memories of the "older" alum. Class of 65 was the first graduating class at the new "George C. Marshall" HS, and so for a lot of us who were there only for our senior year our memories are totaly different than others who spent earlier years in Ankara.

quote:
Originally posted by Wray Woolley '66:
...I don't have any problems with it. I just say, mayo on the side please, and they bring it. There is a place here called In and Out Burger, they don't even have mayo at that Drive-in at all. I can't believe that, but their burgers are very good too, so I guess that doesn't matter.

posted Hide Post
I've seen conversations in the past about dipping French fries in mayonnaise at the AFEX but it must have been something that came into vogue after I left in 1964--I never tasted it myself or saw anyone else eating it. And believe me, I hung out there a lot! Here in the Pacific Northwest many people dip their fries in tarter sauce. I think that's a little strange, too but to each his own.

Posts: 28 | Location: Federal Way, WA | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here in the Pacific Northwest many people dip their fries in tarter sauce. I think that's a little strange, too but to each his own.

But what is tarter sauce but relish, little hot sauce if desired and MAYONAISSE! Sounds great to me. MMMMMmmmm!

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Judy, you might be right, I have no idea how it started. It must have been after you left, the Turks, ones behind the counter, would say...No, you want Catsup. They just didn't get it, but then how would they know, I doubt they had French Fries before they worked at the AFEX. We all used to do it, except those really not all that excited about such a thing.

I have used Tarter Sause as well, works just about as good. People seem to look at you funny though, at least in CA.

posted Hide Post
Hi Wray!

French fries...what are those? So many of us "ole-timer's" are trying to be health conscious and watching our nutrition and weight, darn it all!!!

I agree with you, though. The IN and OUT BURGER serves a really decent burger and at a very good price here in Sacramento! But a far cry from the old AFEX Snack Bar where I knew so many folks...those were the good old days (daze)...and long may they live in memory!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, hello Brandi!

Long time no see/hear. Have a french fry with mayo. Just one can"t hurt.

I'm a great mayo fan. What's a sandwich without mayo? And in my tuna too!

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi There Yourself!

Yep, I'm new to this APO Forum. Greetings from Sacramento, CA. Wray Wooley, also class '66, is here...small world! And darned if I didn't go out and have an order of fries with mayo after my first comment!

Memory lane...wheee..eee...eee! I lived quite a while in Ankara: for many years since my Mom and Dad were Civil Servants there. Both worked at Hq TUSLOG! Lived in Kavaklidere, Cankaya, and Bacchi. Remember the Chicken kieviski and fried shrimp happy hours and slots at the O'Club
...ate Doner (Lamb) Kebab on rice at the Washington restaurant and Ulus burgers on Ukmek..all drooling with butter!

I remember our hell-raising class'66 trip to Rhodes...

Ah heck! You're right! We only live once. Forget the nutrition crappolo....back to the mayo: on fries, on BLT's, with Tuna....

Posts: 2 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
66?
Tom DiStasio here from Alaska-Eric Lewis got me on the french fries/mayo in '72-you guys were way ahead of your time, so who was carrying this on in the years between?