Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just wondering...
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone remember the old American movie theatre in Ankara? What neighborhood was that in? I remember seeing the following movies there (and more);

Bonny & Clyde, Rosemary's Baby, The Green Beret, and one of the early Clint Eastwood spagetti westerns (possibly The Good, the Bad and the Ugly).

Overall it was a pretty good movie theatre. They even had newsreels back then, and cartoons before the movie. Great stuff! If the movie was especially lousy or boring we deliquents would smoke cigarettes till they kicked us out.

The manager was a Canadian fellow that used to brag that he never had to stand for the national anthem because he was a canuck.

Posts: 6 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: October 03, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,
I've got a picture posted of Cathy Ward exiting the theatre at the following URL. The pic is about half way down the page. I believe this was 1968.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rredwanski/rrpage5f.htm

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
<Fran Archibald '68>
posted
Roger--Thanks so much for the link to your site. I just browsed through it and it brought back a lot of memories. I understand that Ankara has really changed from what we remember. I hope to make it back someday.

posted Hide Post
Hi Roger,

Many thanks. I went to the site and found the picture. Your site is great. Now my memory is really getting jogged and I'm recalling some of the other places they had for Americans scattered around Ankara, such as the library and the Merhaba hotel for newly arriving families. I think the Merhaba also had sort of a mini 7/11 style AFEX.

Does anyone remember the bowling alley? It had about five or six lanes.

Thanks again Roger.

Posts: 6 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: October 03, 2004Reply With Quote
<Marilyn Sarchet '65>
posted
Eric, I remember going to the theater, but can't remember the neighborhood it was in either. It was neat to see the pic on Roger's great page, brought back memories. Usually after the movies, I'd go "upstairs" and get a butterscotch sundae.

I can't remember any particular movies in the Am. theater, but I do remember my dad getting reels of movies that he showed in our home. He'd bring home a sound projector and screen. He usually had a movie for the "adults" and one for "kids". I remember seeing "Gidget".

posted Hide Post
Eric,

If I remember correctly, during '63 to '66 the movie theator was in Kevaklidere.

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Folks -
I can't tell you the street, but the theatre was about a block from the Hotel Dedeman - where we stayed when we arrived in '69. The bowling alley was on Tunus Caddesi about 1/2 block from our apartment and about a block from the Billets - in Kavaklidere.
According to someone who visited Ankara in 2000 - the Merhaba Palas has been torn down. It did indeed have a "convenience" store on the main floor. Will definitely check out Roger's pic of Cathy Ward - she was a classmate, and one of my favorite people in Ankara!

Posts: 21 | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tom DiStasio '75 the theatre was moved to the basement of the JUSSMAT building in the '70's
I recall making out with a girlfriend (unnamed)
in a corridor until being interrupted by an armed Turk guard with a gun, we had "strayed"
into an unauthorized part of the building.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Mowrey '71:
Does anyone remember the old American movie theatre in Ankara? What neighborhood was that in? I remember seeing the following movies there (and more);

Bonny & Clyde, Rosemary's Baby, The Green Beret, and one of the early Clint Eastwood spagetti westerns (possibly The Good, the Bad and the Ugly).

Overall it was a pretty good movie theatre. They even had newsreels back then, and cartoons before the movie. Great stuff! If the movie was especially lousy or boring we deliquents would smoke cigarettes till they kicked us out.

The manager was a Canadian fellow that used to brag that he never had to stand for the national anthem because he was a canuck.
Kim; Was that near Ulus? I too saw some of those same movies. I was there on a weekday when the electricity went out like 2 or 3 times. Good old Turkish engineering. If you went around the back left of the theater there was a door for the maintenance man. There was a hall that went down stairs and led to the back bottom of the theater ultimately we could climb into the roof of the bathroom.-No not the ladies room,we didn't dare ring that bell. Kim you were excellent in Arsenic and old Lace.

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I was there the theater was near the Merhaba palas. I saw 2001 there. I took a Turkish friend with me who was studying ESL.
dmagrath

Posts: 19 | Location: Daytona. FL | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Mowrey '71:

:Wake up and write some response. We have issues from the trauma of living in Turkey and we can only get through this thing together.
HAPPY NEW YEAR,and long live all of us.

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Was it a trauma?Or an adventure? Turkey is my home;as a "brat" I never had a home till then. I actually lived in the same house for longer than a year and met some neighbors.I go back when i can.
dmagrath

Posts: 19 | Location: Daytona. FL | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think of it as an adventure! After 3 tours of duty and going from starting first grade to finally graduating there............it was home!No trauma there.

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I loved living in Turkey. I lived in Izmir for three years with my family, and then the year in Ankara as a dormie. I think I was really fortunate to have the opportunity to live there, both times. I'd go back in a heartbeat again, and I know a lot of others who feel the same.

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 13, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It was a wonderful experience for me and my family too. Merri, I remember your brother Bob very well. We wrote back and forth a few times way back when the Ankara alum group began. Hope he is doing well.

Posts: 29 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote