Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Did You Live?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You know, Vicki, I could have sworn there were two as well, but my mother still maintains there was only one. I think I could be wrong, as that was the popular place for all the boys to hang out at for a long time, and who knows which one I am casually giving to Tom and Sheila that wasn't theirs! With all the moving around, I know how possible it is for that to happen. I think when we moved, a lot of other people also had their orders. Back in 1973, when we did our 3rd tour there, we went back to see Osman and Nigar. The building was then all Turks (the result of the WAY HUGE downsizing of the base), but the landlord also had a daughter who's family moved into the building, and they only conversed in english to Salayha, so she wouldn't forget. They were also helping with her education, so I suppose she probably went on to a higher education (that was the plan) and moved her "status" in life up from her parents. The thought of her possibly getting to go to college was really exciting for her parents and they were soooo proud!

Boy is it a small world. Do you keep in touch with him?

Alice

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can't remember the Spelling but we lived up the hill, at least that's what i used 2 call it, back then in 75-76, the Officers Club was at the top of the hill....that's where the base shuttle bus stoped 2 pick up folks going 2 the base or just wanting 2 go somewhere else in the city....ill try 2 spell it..."Abidean Daver..at least that's the way it sounded, surely that's not the way it is spelled.....lol how funny....

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i remember now...saw it in another forum...it was Chankaya....wow.....

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Rapposelli '78:
i remember now...saw it in another forum...it was Chankaya....wow.....

I lived in Cankaya from August of 1973 until January of 1977 when I left Turkey for the last time (hopefully not truly the last time). I could walk to the O-Club in 15 minutes or less from where I lived. I remember catching a bus to and from there many times.
Alice

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was in Ankara 81 to 83. I lived at 2/2 Ahmet Rahsim Sokak, not too far from the O club. There was a bakery nearby and I miss the smell of fresh baked Ecmek in the air in the mornings. I also seem to remember a store near the O club that had Ice cream. The Ice cream was real sweet and creamy. Were there always Turkish soldiers on the buses? Or was that only after the Coup and Marshall Law? It was nice to find this site and catch a glimpse at yearbooks also.

posted Hide Post
I am Peg Chambers '68.. We lived at the bottom of Chankaya hill
at 16/7 Tehran Cadeci. The Iranian Embassy was on our street. It had a big wall around it. We lived in a building next to a vacant lot and the Turkish guys had a volleyball area set up. I had several Turkish friends that lived close by. They were very nice and sometimes the guys would let us play volleyball too. In the
winter, we would sled on the hill that led down to the volleyball area. Dorothy and Betty Sirginson lived in the building next to us and Susi Moore lived in our building. I remember looking up Chankaya Hill off my balcany at night and loving the lights! I also remember looking down Cankaya from the O club and loving how pretty the lights were at night. It seemed like the city was always alive! I miss that.
Did anybody else live close to there?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Peg Boulineau '68,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah yes, the after shave lotion. Was it Aqua Velva?

Hi Judy, my first post and zeroed right in on the CYO trip to the southern coast of Turkey and your post regarding Bob's comment on "shaving lotion."

I think, and I might wrong, that it was English Leather and the "false accusations" had something to do with the effect of English Leather on women, not consumption.

Anyway, that was a great trip does anyone remember hearing the Beatles being played on a small battery operated record player on the bus???? "I want to hold your hand" and "She loves you" Anyone remember? Eddie 64