Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Did You Live?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Having lived there on 3 different occasions, we did live in different parts of the city. First it was Maltepe and a street called Gulseren Sok., the next time it was in Mebus on Ayten Sok. (our next door neighbor was a man who was a former Turkish President, and his name is on the tip of my tongue! He died in 1979, 9 years after we moved. It was in the Rocky Mtn New Obituary, but I can't find the article anymore) and the last place we lived was in Cankaya on Pilot Sok. The dates were '63-'67 (we also stayed at the Pinar Hotel in '67), '68-70 and '73-'77. I also really loved the country!

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We also lived in Maltepe on Gulseren Sokak ('62-'64). The building in which we lived was rented only to American families and was walking distance from the school. In fact, there were a couple teachers who lived there as well--Mr. Dante and Mrs. Cook. Does anyone remember the school gym being used as a skating rink? I was at the skating rink when I first heard the news of President Kennedy's assassination in '63.

Posts: 5 | Location: O'Fallon IL | Registered: August 04, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vicki,
We lived on Gulseren Sok. from late (I believe) October 1963 until June 1967. It was also a building which was occupied by Americans, but we had a bus which came by and took us to school. At least for elementary students, anyway. The building was owned by a couple of brothers who were extremely educated and, I believe, spent a lot of time in the England. I remember them coming once a month to collect rent, and they were extremely nice men. We were in walking distance from the Annex building that had the post office, barbershop, and other little conveniences. I don't remember everyone who lived there, only the ones with little kids, as I was only 6 when we moved in, but there were only 8 apartments in the building, and the kapici's name was Osman, he had a wife, Nigar and a daughter Salaha(spelling??????). You probably at least knew some of the people in our building, or maybe even lived in the same one. It is a very interesting thought.
Alice

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vicki,
I am in error....it was 64 to 67 (3 years), not 1963. 1963 was the year my youngest brother was born, and he was a year old when we moved there. Sorry...........I MUST be getting senile!

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Hi Alice

We did live in the same building! However, we left in the summer of '64 for Virginia Beach...probably before you moved in. I do remember Osman (very friendly) and his wife, but it was my understanding that when we lived there the building was owned by a Turkish man married to an American. I remember some of the other families that lived in the building during that time too, and they all had elementary school children....the Wheelers, Hammocks, Hills, and Stotts. Do any of those names sound familiar to you?

Vicki Lahn

posted Hide Post
brad Buchner '70
do you know mike? his dad was hospital commander around 70-71? do you remember me? i am having a hard time remembering people. i remember places. we lived in the last apartment building in cankaya at the top of the main street to downtown. you could easily catch a dolmush straight to the bottom of the hill. the officers club was located up there, too. we could walk there from our home.

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
oh my gosh i just read the hotel message. and i was not dreaming about the prom. i do remember the snake dancer! vividly. i did not faint. i loved it. i remember lots of drinking and swimming with our cloths on! we all felt so grown up!

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vicki,
We moved into the building in either late October or early November. The landlord may have been married to an American, I only ever saw him and his brother. The Wheelers sound familiar. We were sponsored into Turkey by the Kennedy's who lived in the building when we moved in. We were good friends with the McCleary's who lived across the hall from us, and the Bulowski's who lived in apt. #8, I think. After we came back stateside for the first time, actually on our return trip for the 2nd tour we visited the Bulowski's. Their mom was British and a lot of fun!

Osman and Nigar had a baby that died in 1966, I think. They had another one that was a boy, and I believe his name was Stefan. Suppose to sound kind of American. Salaha couldn't start school her first year, as she didn't speak enough Turkish from all the American influence through her playmates.

We went to elementary school on the base in the new school building. It was the building that was later destined to become the HeadQuarters building. They built a building to be the Jr. High in approx. 1969 or 1970, but that was later the High School and Jr. High. One half of the High School Bldg. became the elementary school and the other half became a part of the High School and Jr. High. That was after the Great Downsizing in 1970 and thereafter.

I have a lot of fond memories of that building. By the way, we lived in Apartment #5. We did move back in in 1970 for about 3 or 4 months until we got orders for Germany, and then we lived on the ground floor in Apt. #1. Which Apartment did you live in?
Alice

Removed full text quote to shorten posting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Alice,
My gosh, I do remember the Belowskis. Her name was Sheila..and his Tom, I believe. They had a daughter Gina and a son but I can't remember his name. My mother continued to correspond with Sheila after we left Turkey, but over the years they lost contact. Do you know where they are now? I'm not sure which apartment we lived in--it was either 5 or 6--whichever one actually faced the street. I remember being friendly with a Turkish girl named "Peela" (sounded like that but not sure of the spelling)who lived in the adjacent building on the ground floor. She was younger than I, didn't speak much English nor I much Turkish, but we managed to "converse." When we lived there, the school was right at the end of Gulseren Sokak and across the main road. It had previously been a bakery. When we left I remember hearing about Site 23 and guess that is where the new school and dorms were built. Living in Turkey was truly an experience!
Vicki

posted Hide Post
Vicki,
I don't remember a Peela, but she would have been older than I was, but I do remember a very little girl named Leyla, and was she a number! Her favorite game was to put dirt in poor Gina's hair and watch Gina shreik! And Gina had that very thin blondish hair that was so hard to get that nasty dirt out of. And I am not sure, but I think it was 2 sons, and one of them was Tom Jr., but I could be really wrong on that. A funny story...one Thanksgiving they had big Tom's boss's family over for dinner. Sheila had fixed a huge Turkey and did everything up just right for the occasion. They left the Turkey on the kitchen counter until time for dinner, and the cat got up and started to nibble on the leg. So, of course, not wanting to tell the boss he was eating the cats left overs, decided to carve the Turkey before setting it at the table. The youngest son sat at the table and said, "yeah, mom had to carve the turkey because the cat ate part of it!" Poor Sheila and Tom! If I knew where they were, I would tell you, but we lost track of them sometime during the second tour in Turkey. For some reason, I think they were in Pa. when we visited them. They were wonderful people.

I guess they had moved the school that year. BUT, in the '66-'67 school year, I went to school (my third grade year) in the Carbarn area, where the Commissary, Bx, and all that great stuff was before they finished the new one on Balgat. That was because the number of people stationed there had increased and so did the number of students. We didn't all fit in the new building. That was across from the Pinar Hotel. OOOOOOh, the memories!
Alice

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Vicki,
I finally got ahold of my mom, and she said it was in Ohio, someone else in Pa. And that the Bulowskis did only have one boy, but everyone seemed to always hang out at their place a lot for a long time. It was sometimes hard to remember who was whose, until you got to know everyone. His name was Tommy. You lived in apartment 6, and apartment 5 faced the backyard. I believe the Stevens lived in Apt. 6 when we lived there, the Kennedy's lived in apartment 7, and the McCleary's lived in apartment 4. Another real young couple lived in 3, and they had a very young son, and also had guardianship of her brother, who was probably fifth or sixth grade. I don't remember to much about who lived on the ground level, but a young couple did move in and they had no children, her name was Sara Starr, I don't remember his first name. My most vivid memory of her was being afraid of Salaha giving her lice, so she bought a brush and fixed Salaha's hair one day (?????who knows why, she thought she was neglected, and know one to teach her about hygiene)and then throwing the brush away.
Weird Lady

Alice

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Alice,
Cats! They were everywhere! Your Thanksgiving story triggered a similar memory. When we lived there, all the families would celebrate Thanksgiving together and contribute to the dinner with homemade dishes. One lady made pumpkin pie but before serving time her cat had evidently been in the kitchen because there were little paw prints in the pie--so she cut and served the untouched portions!

Vicki

posted Hide Post
One of the cats in the neighborhood where we lived (Golcuk, near Karamursel) would crawl up underneath our car to keep warm at night. Unfortunately, he was not quick enough one morning and lost his tail when my parents turned the car on. Frowner

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 13, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah, cats, everywhere, hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats (oh, wait that is a story). My father had a real soft heart for animals, and believe me, we had cats!

We did have a huge building Thanksgiving Dinner the first Thanksgiving we were there, but I think, after that with so many new people, either no one had room to host it, or they just didn't want to. I enjoyed the first one.

Doug,
It's lucky that's all it lost. My brother was working at a shop once where a car was brought in with the mess of a cat that didn't seem to know the car was starting. I wonder if it ever knew what hit it. And what a mess!

Alice

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Alice

I've been racking my brain trying to think of the other Belowski boy's name--does Craig sound right? It's hard to believe that you moved in the building just months after we left and the Belowskis were the only family known to both of us. I suppose all the military were due to rotate around the same time. I used to babysit for one family there--the Hammocks--and would you believe that 30+ years later I crossed paths with their son, who was now an AF officer assigned to Scott AFB and renting a duplex from a friend of mine! Small world!
Vicki