The Network & Ankara Post Office
Where Did You Live?

This topic can be found at:
http://ankaraalumni.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5710008172/m/2990099562

October 12, 2004, 02:03 PM
Richard Dickson '66
Where Did You Live?
Hey Brad

I used to eat at the officers club often, I think. Memory is foggy. I remember eating the "chicken kievski"(sp). You had to carefully poke a hole in it, or you would get squirted with butter in the face. How about the Turkish taxi cabs with little colored lights everywhere: in the front grill, wheel wells, on the tip of the antenna(how'd they do that?). Up in Chunkaya, where I lived, they had a taxi stand with all the cars being Chevorlets, each a different year.
October 12, 2004, 08:29 PM
Mary Cox '68
my sister always ordered "Chicken Kievski" at the Officers Club. Since then I've never heard Chicken Kiev called that. I also remember they had slot machines there, and even kids could play them.
October 13, 2004, 01:28 AM
Richard Dickson '66
Mary,

I think the've got something resembling "chicken kievski" in the grocery stores. Just pop them in the oven frozen. Still got the butter spray problem. I used to fix them for my mother when I was taking care of her.

I didn't play the slots till I got overseas in the military.
October 13, 2004, 07:44 PM
Brad Buchner '70
Ah yes, Tavuk Kiev - I used to order that at the Hotel Dedeman, where we stayed for about a month when we arrived. I've never had better since! The frozen ones you can get at the store are a poor substitute. Actually they're not that hard to make - though a bit labor intensive. I wonder where all my classmates from 1970 are? I don't see many of them posting here. Oh well, it's great sharing these memories anyway.
My wife, who hails from Beijing, took me to China this past May for the first time. For years she had been telling me about this terrific Russian restaurant she remembered from her youth. It was built by the Soviets in the 1950s. Well, it was indeed an impressive building - unfortunately the food, which included Chicken Kiev - was awful. Turns out there aren't any Russians associated with the place anymore. Still an impressive sight though.My wife was heartbroken because she had so looked forward to taking me there.
October 18, 2004, 09:35 PM
Harry Harper (Rushing) `70
Hey Brad. I'm from your class, but you weren't there by the time I had gone. I do remember eating at the O club and having the oft described yummy chicken. I also enjoyed eating a kind of filet steak at a hotel we stayed in for about a month after arriving in Ankara, it was called something like a "tornado" (the "a" in there was a soft "a" sound). It was good. I also remember the bread things they sold on the street - I don't remember eating one. But I loved the fresh bread ecmek (sp) - kind of tasted like sour dough bread. I think it cost approximately 2.5 cents - whatever the fraction of a lira that was.

Judy - thank you - I think it was you that remembered Nene Hatun Caddesi - that was the street the Big Reds and the school buses went up and down. I almost always got my taxi rides for that much - or I would get out and walk. They would take the iki buchuk. I do remember paying more to go to ULUS (sp) - was that the name of the old city center?

Mary - thanks for the reminder of that park going up to Cankaya. I remember going there with friends and and a battery powered record player to listen to the latest Beatles album.

Did anyone else ever skate board around Gazi or Cankaya?
October 23, 2004, 06:47 PM
<Marilyn Sarchet '65>
I lived at Birinci Cadde Bahcelievler about 1959-1961. You could see Ataturk's Tomb from our window. I remember seeing the troops in the streets below, during the Menderes Coup.

Other's I remember living in Bahce, were Bud Hirshbergh (sp)and the Green sisters. The Harrington's lived in the downstairs flat.

I too, remember the chicken kiev, with the butter spurting out when you first cut into it Smiler Mmm Good!
October 25, 2004, 10:07 AM
Mandy Frank '62
I lived in Bachiliever (sp?) on 54 Sokak, near the stables...rode often. We ate at the Vashington, ekmek from the street I guess, rode the bus to school. The Hindi's (our turkekys) and sheep were often driven to market down our street. Steve Palmerston caught the bus where I did. I was there from '58 to '60. Went to Stuttgart from there. Does anyone remember the boy who died playing basketball? I remember church at the theater. And no Scouting allowed. So weird. We have 5 gallon jerry cans that we filled with water from the PX every week to cook with.... And our water went off alot along with the electricity. And we had a wringer washing machine. I thought that way cool.
October 26, 2004, 05:15 PM
Judy Scholes '64
I don't remember the basketball player who died but 2 years ago I attended a small Ankara gathering in Chicago and Rich Harvey, of your class, was telling us about the buy, and his brother, who Rich was very close to. A sad story.
October 28, 2004, 10:26 AM
<Fran Archibald '68>
Hi all---Well I have had a little trip down memory lane. I lived a #8 Gunes Sokak, in Kavaklidere, right behind the AID building which was at the bottom of Cankya (sp) hill. We were fortunate to live in a 2 story house that came with phone. We took it over from the guy my dad replaced. When we first got to Ankara (summer of 1965), we lived in an apartment near the hospital. That ici bucuk "taxi" you all are referring to is actually a dolmus (means stufed pig). They would start at the top of a hill, coast down as much as possible and pick up as many passengers as they could along the way. It was a share taxi. That is why it was so cheap. I remember the Officers' Club and chicken kiev, too. Girls, what about getting your hair done for a dance for $0.85 and having a seamstress make a dress for you from a picture very inexpensively?
October 29, 2004, 09:58 AM
Richard Dickson '66
When I was there ('63 - '66) the dolmus was bes kurus (five kurus) for five miles. I used to take it from the top of Cankaya hill down to the BX. Just sometimes you had to hold your nose, either because of fellow passengers or the faulty exhaust system.
October 31, 2004, 09:27 PM
APO Admin
Posted on behalf of Dick Weigler -

TO FRAN ARCHIBALD: We lived at 19/2 Gunes Sokak, '69-'71.
Question: What was the name of the district...it was part of the address....I think something like Guvenerci.
Apparently we were neighbors. Did you all go down the stairs to the AID and get water from the tank truck???

Dick Weigler, Faculty
November 01, 2004, 02:20 PM
<Fran Archibald '68>
Dick Weigler--The area was called Kavaklidere, at least where we were it was. You were on the same street as us but I don't know if you were close enough to be in Kavaklidere since you seem to remember a different name. We were near an intersection with ? and the last lot on the left just before the intersection was vacant and a favorite place for man and donkey to take a midday snooze. At that point, if you went left, you came to a small shopping area. We bought our bread and yogurt there (at least until my mom bought a yogurt maker). I cannot say we never got water from the tank truck but what I remember the most was the huge water bottles that were sold on the street, from a cart. Somehow I cannot imagine getting water that way but then, I can't imagine now, a lot of what we did then! What an experience! Wouldn't trade it. I would like to go back someday.
November 07, 2004, 10:34 PM
<Chris White '60>
This is an interesting section......What I also find interesting is where folks live now or have lived........

Our paths seem to cross throughout our lives...
Since Turkey I've lived in Fairfax, Va., D.C., Gainesville, Fla., Merritt Island Fla., Friendswood, Tx., Rosharon, Tx. and now Washington, Tx.

Anyone else?
November 09, 2004, 12:09 PM
Eric Mowrey '71
Back in '66 my dad got hired to run Ankara's newest hotel, the Buyuk Ankara Oteli. When we got to Ankara in July of that year the hotel was still six months away from being opened (it opened on Christmas day 1966), so from July until December we sub-letted an apartment on Kennedy ├žadesi.

Living on Kennedy ├žadesi was great because there were a lot of American families on that street and it didn't take long to make new friends. One of my best friends at the time was a guy named Dave Gardner. Dave was into torpils, which was a big Turkish firecracker that was probably equal to an American cherry bomb in power. We spent the summer setting these things off and it was damn lucky we never got hurt, and even luckier that we never hurt anyone either.

Come December we moved into the hotel. I had my own room on the 1st floor. The room faced the Russian and American embassies.

It was the first and last time I lived in a hotel. I got to know the place inside out and top to bottom. At least one prom was held there. I think it was in '68.

We left Ankara and the Buyuk for good in 1969. I hear that it is pretty run down now and no longer Ankara's top place by any stretch. I think Ankara has a Sheraton and a Hilton now. Back then the only Hilton was in Istanbul.
November 09, 2004, 12:25 PM
Deirdre McCall '72
I lived on Gunes Sokak, too, behind AID, from '70 to '71. We were in that building when the Turkish American Association next to the steps was bombed. I'll never forget it as long as I live. It was a Thursday evening because we were having chili for dinner.

Somehow we inherited that phone, but I remember it inside our apartment. I think I broke the receiver on one of my brother's head. But it still worked. Whew!