AnkaraAlumni.net    The Network & Ankara Post Office    APO Ankara Post Office  Hop To Forum Categories  Remember When?......... or What? or Where?    Wow! Can't believe I found this site. Remember?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow! Can't believe I found this site. Remember?
 Login/Join 
posted
Amazing what you can find on the internet. Unfortunately I can barely remember my time spent in Ankara. Dad was in the Air Force and we ended up in Peshawar, Pakistan for a little over a year, 1968-1969. There were only a handful of us high school kids so we were flown to Ankara to attend school. We flew in a
C-141, I think, with no seats to speak of. Can remember spreading out blankets and sitting on the floor of the plane playing cards.

At the time I was a hardcore Catholic and entering the dormatory life was quite a shock. Didn't take me long to get use to it. Before I knew it I was smoking cigarettes and enjoying my first taste of hard liquor. The big band in town was a group called "Oxygen" (I think), anybody remember them? For some reason I can still hear them playing some Deep Purple from their first album and if I remember correctly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly was another biggie.

Don't really remember much about the school itself. Do remember my first true love I met there, her name was Barbara Earley. A beautiful redhead with a million and one freckles. Wonder what ever happened to her?

Well, that's about it. None of the names I'm seeing ring a bell but that's not surprising. Like I said, can't remember too much. Hope going through this site and reading some of the post will bring back some memories. Cheers!

Rick

P.S. Other things I remember:

A dormatory counselor with a neck brace. Seemed to enjoy making us get a haircut every other week or so. Frowner

A junior/senior dance/prom (maybe) with belly dancer who did interesting things with a hugh snake. Big Grin

Some sort of monthly get together in town. Tom Jones' songs come to mind here, or was it Englebert Humperdink. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Nehls '70,

Posts: 2 | Location: Alaska | Registered: February 27, 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The really cool Oxygen played at the Disc 66 and at least one of them was from Cypress or Crete. Barbara Earley was at one of the first reunions wondering where the rest of us were.
Where were you?

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick!

A fellow dormie from the class of 70.

Pleased to see that you have found the "Ankara Reunion" -- hope to see you in Dallas this summer.

Enjoyed reading your posting on "APO". Bill Tarpley was the dorm counselor who used to drag the dormies who he deemed in need of a haircut into the bathroom where the Turkish barber periodically set up shop. And then Tarpley would supervise to make sure that the hair cut was short enough.

And what have you been up to since Ankara, Rick???

Take care,
Doug

posted Hide Post
Doug & Kurt - Thanks to the both of you for refreshing a little bit of my memory. Geezzz, your guys' ability to remember the years spent in Turkey is a lot better than mine. Think I lost too many brain cells in the 70s to remember much from the 60s. Smiler

Alaska was my next stop after Turkey and Pakistan. Been here ever since. Work for a company called Lynden International, worldwide cargo service. Trucking, barges, air cargo charters, etc.

Kurt, I have a daughter 26 years old that now lives in Riverside.

Stumpled across this site just doing some google searching one evening. Already received a nice email from Barbara. Too Cool!

Cheers!

Rick

Posts: 2 | Location: Alaska | Registered: February 27, 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick:

I believe I was in Ankara before you, by just a bit. But you may or may not remember Edith Gilbert Class of 70, she lives in Wasilla Ak.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,

Posts: 15 | Location: Leesburg, VA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't what all of you and my friends have done to yourselves to have no memory. I thought I had abused myself, yet I remember quite alot, of course I can't spell.
The lead guy in Oxygen was Teddy. Right?
Who is in touch with Ralph Getsinger? You know it was his birthday on the 8th?
He lives in God country W Virginia. I can't make it to the reunion since my work schedule has me working all three days. So please send everyone my best. You know big hugs and kisses.

Removed insertion of previous postings.

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanx, your daughter is a little young for me. Besides my wife would not approve. Seriously, have her go to Dutton Motor Co, Cadillac GMC Buick Pontiac, and we can sell her an Escalade.

Removed insertion of previous postings.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, Teddy (Tezar,actually) was the keyboard and vocalist for that band. Probably ended up in a Turkish prison somewhere - kept getting busted for drugs. His place was a popular hangout when I was there in 1970. Barbara Earley was a knockout redhead, no doubt about it. Nice to see a few 1970 folks posting here. Hope to see all in Dallas!! For reasons unknown to me it will be my first trip to Texas - so, I will be trekking over to Ft. Worth to check out Billy Bob's (yeah, I outgrew rock 'n roll and moved on into country). Looking forward to August!

Posts: 21 | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brad:

Look forward to seeing you in Dallas. (However, am saddened to learn that you "outgrew rock 'n roll and moved on into country".)

Take care,
Doug

posted Hide Post
hey, rick. fellow pak rat here. teddy was a greek cypriot...kept getting deported to cypress. was tarpley the one who'd scatter rice crispies on the hall floor at night so he could catch you guys out of your rooms after lights-out or was that something peter hill made up?

posted Hide Post
I think Peter made that one up, Brenda. However, I believe that in one of the sophomore on senior "dormie raids" our sophomore year, that the sophomores did tie Tarpley's door closed, locking him in. And for many days after the raid, the dorm counselors (and the seniors) assumed that it was the juniors (not the sophomores) who had raided the seniors.