Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving
 Login/Join 
posted
The Thanksgiving turkey has always been important in our family. Sometimes they were kind of hard to find, depending in what country where we were in at the time. While in Amman , Jordan, Dad weanted a fresh turkey, through his Jordanian friends he was directed to a butcher, we, My Dad, my sister Carol and I ventured in to the shop with sheep carcasses hanging from the cielings and other mystery meat displayed, the owner greeted us and scurried off to the back room, where in a few mintues he reappeared with the biggest damn turkey I have ever seenm at the tender age of 12 years old, the only set back was this turkey was still walking around being led in with a piece of twine around his neck. Carol freaked out, I wanted him/her as a pet and I had already named him Sam, right before us Sam had his neck stretched, and Sam went to the big free range in the Sky. After the cleaning, Sam was trussed, up stuffed, and shoved into to a roasting pan, and then slapped into the kerosene powered oven. After many hours, the stove had a mind of it's own bSam reappeared, all golden and aromatic. I couldn't eat my friend, so I opted out for a can of bully (corned) beef. After Turkey, we were in Nepal, where we threw a Thanksgiving feast for the Dooley Girls, the Dooley Girls were airline hostesses, who volunteered their timem working with the children at the Leper Colony, this organization was started by Dr. Tom Dooley in Asia in the early 50's. These ladies were hard working and dedicated, and it was a great time having them sit down to a feast served on damask linens , crystal, and fine china. When we opened thedorr to the dining room their wasn't a dry eye in the house.
Have a Great Thansgiving, and remeber what to give thanks for.
Rodney Bell, Kerman CA, Class of 68

Posts: 17 | Location: Kerman, CA | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote