AnkaraAlumni.net    The Network & Ankara Post Office    APO Ankara Post Office  Hop To Forum Categories  The AFEX    1964 onward Dorm Kids and Counselors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1964 onward Dorm Kids and Counselors
 Login/Join 
posted
I would like to see names and posts from all those who find this message who were dormers and counselors from 1964 and onward. Being kids we sometimes ONLY knew each other by nicknames and paid little attention to last ones. Guess we were pretty much like the rest of Earth's critters and that was all that mattered! I attended 13 different schools (including other boarding schools), but Ankara is the one that means most to me. The dorms that first year were brand new and all of us were scared. I'd like to get more of the names of those who were part of that first family...they kept me alive. Becky

Posts: 11 | Location: Abingdon, Maryland | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rebecca -

Yesterday, I located two more of the early dorm counselors, Mary Margaret Smith (McGowan) and Richard McGowan. Email contact info is now available for them in the NETWORK ....we also have an email address for Sondra Einfeldt (Harmelink) and Vern Harmelink. Several other dorm counselors are listed in the Ankara Directory - Mary Fran Kane, Elisilee Marshall, Larry Shaw and Karen Soderstrom. Unfortunately, Eileen Stansbury, Fritz Kunze & Dwight Lindbloom are all deceased.

Small world story - I had dinner the other evening with my neighbor, whose sister and brother-in-law are long term educators at the DOD school in Lakenheath and visiting Dallas for a month. The McGowans are longtime friends.

Re your search for James "Bo" Ridgeway.....was he a dormie? Do you remember where his father was stationed? Might you remember if his father was USAID, State or a particular branch of the military? Any bit of info along those lines will help me tremendously in trying to locate him.

And finally -- do you have a full name for "Tex?" If not, perhaps you can peruse a yearbook for full name and let me know. Be happy to try to locate him.

posted Hide Post
Re your search for James "Bo" Ridgeway.....was he a dormie? --- He was a dormie and his Dad was located in Beruit, Lebanon at that time. I don't think he was USAID (my Dad was), but I'm not sure. I do know they went back to Texas that summer. Rod Bell was his roommate and might know more. Thanks Lyn!

Posts: 11 | Location: Abingdon, Maryland | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you talk about the dorm being new in 1964. I was in what we called the new and first dorm in Ankara in Sept 1960.
We even had our own pages in the 1961 Yearbook.

John W. Devine

Posts: 1 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The dorms in 1964 were still having work done to the grounds and there were rutted mud ditches all over the area when we arrived to start that year and it was a mess.

Thank you for the telephone call last night Lyn! Sure was Great to hear a long-ago voice again.

posted Hide Post
Hey Becky
Tex was Tex Cramer, unfortunatly I think he passed, Dennis Davidson, old roomate. I think he is in Georgia, paul Johnson another roommate passed.

Rodney

Posts: 17 | Location: Kerman, CA | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod. Yes, I remember the last name now. You better STICK AROUND!!! I know Tex was having a really rough year back then....