Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Paper
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello from Gary MacLane. I spent my sophmore and junior; high school years at GMC.

I was cleaning out some old boxes and came accross an old newspaper. The "Offical School Informer" from Feb 1972. Lots of interviews with the janitors, 8th graders, Canadian students and sports news. I have saved it as a pdf file and if you want a copy just ask. Good conversation piece.

Gary MacLane

posted Hide Post
I am attaching the paper

Gary MacLane

posted Hide Post
Did you ever hear of the underground newspaper circulated in 69 or 70 called RIPT??? Kurt 72

Removed the copy of the original letter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
no

Sorry for the long delay. I've been out of the country.

Gary MacLane

posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge the first issue of the "Official School Informer" was a play on the acronym "OSI" the Air Force's Office of Special Investigation. Diane Andrews did some early art work and Curt Nordeen and myself were editorial writers.

posted Hide Post
I actually have copies of Volume 1 #6 (March 1971), #7 (April) and #8 (June). There must have been a coup because Rick, Curt and Diane are not listed - Orna Arbell was editor.
I also have Volume 2 #1 (Oct 71) - Marvia Moore, editor, #2 (Nov), #3 (Feb 72) - Doug Vadnais, new editor and #4 (March). #4 has a masthead that looks like they were taking that play on OSI "seriously". Mr. Tarpley was the advisor both years. I wonder if it continued....

Posts: 12 | Location: Orlando FL | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You are quite correct, tho it wasn't actualy a coup it did seem that way. There were two or three original issues that came out in the fall of '70 with the aforementioned contributors. And Ora Arbell wrote and also contributed some artwork in those issues.

Now, as for the coup.....does everyone remember the events of early November of 1970...I think the actual dates where Friday, October 31 thru Tuesday, November 4th (election day)?

What occurred was the big "bust" in which the aftermath was the closing of the dorms and moving them to Karamusal.....effectively decimating the ranks of those still remaining.

One of the results was changing the class schedule that has existed for the first sememster. After which there was just one History class (as opposed to the original 2) and it's time conflicted with the Journalism class. Neither Curt, Diane, nor myself was able to take the journalism class and in order to particiapte with the "Official School Informer" you had to be in the journalism class.

It is interesting the you chose the word "coup" as the three of us always felt that the new schedule was made up as such to remove us from the paper.....I still have the copies from the fall of '70.

The paper was more of an "underground rag" early on and became more professional in the spring....fo course......that's just an opinion.

posted Hide Post
Rick

I was a dormie from 67 - 70 and was not only saddened when I learned in late 70 that the dorms had been closed, but curious as to why they were closed. Please post an APO message with the details of the "big bust" which led to the closing of the dorms.

Thanks,
Doug '70

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 13, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
With a background in history I am a stickler for dates.....and I need first to correct to "facts" from my earlier post....about the school paper.....Tuesday was November 3rd and not the 4th and the reason Curt Nordeen and myself were unable to continue with the school paper was a schedule conflict with Physics and not History......

Now..........relying on my memory here again....which as you can see from the above is a bit faulty......

There was a raid at Tezar's (Teddy's) house on the Thursday proceeding the above mentioned Tuesday. And there was also a raid at the dorms. As a result of those raids and from information and evidence gathered by the OSI or DET 26......many students were required to leave Turkey.....in most cases with their siblings and mothers....leaving the father behind to finish his tour of duty and the dorms were closed as it was considered by the authorities that they were the source of the "problem".....the "problem" being drug ussage of course.....

I am sure that other dorm students could shed more and detailed information on this. I was a relative newcommer to the entire scene (and "newcommer" itself being relative.....February of the same year)

The interrogation methods of the OSI where rather intense and they had pictures of many coming and going into Teddy's house. They relied on other students to implicate targeted students....and they had a "two strike" rule if I remember correctly. That meant that they only need two people to state that you used drugs and you were gone....sent home.

Any other memories or questions? Test this still functioning mind out?

posted Hide Post
So what happened to Teddy? Was he arrested? And does anyone remember Teddy's friend who was a Pakistani fellow? I think his name began with an S. They hungout together alot and were always at disco 66 (?) together. We left in December of 69 so I missed this big event but it was obvious things were brewing that year and I remember my parents saying that we were to be very careful going to parties because of OSI...
I had no idea the dorms closed because of this, either, and I can't imagine the impact this must have had on those individuals who were sent home...as Donna Musil's film pointed out, it was always about what we reflected on our parents and it must have been a terrible responsibility for those students to bear...
Kris

posted Hide Post
(I really do need to proof read my entries here as my typos are glaring and obvious...not to mention embarrassing)

As memory serves.....Teddy was busted at his home in a raid by Turkish police. While that was going on...or possibly the day after ...a Friday...the dorms were raided by OSI.....the following week the interrogations ensued. My younger brother, who was 3 yrs behind me in grade was mis-identified as myself by someone from a photo taken at or outside of Teddy's house and resulted in his being called in for questioning. He (and thus myself) dodged a bullet there.

I would have to go through the year book (from the previous year....the one with the Doors silk screen print)and try and figure out how many townies versus dormies were busted.

I do know that I graduated with only 33 seniors in June of '71.

Tho we were nearly half way around the world and somewhat insulated from much of what was going on there were strains of it all occuring on all spectrums.

It's all a long time ago and since then and because of it all our views and outlooks have been forever filtered because of our place in time then. I've read many of the comments about many a varied subject in here and it is obvious I am not alone with this view.

However I am gathering that my views are different than a lot of those being expressed here. Seems living in Turkey caused me to experience a 180 degree turn....a lot of that was youthful growing up too I suppose.....

Then again much of the education process then and now to this day is about indoctrination.....it takes time and effort to be able to see past the filtered lens of both youth and the excitement and for some the trauma of being on the move or uprooted and living in a foreign land.

I spent most of the next 20 yrs thinking I was different....mostly different and not special as result of those experiences....and equally feeling more aware and knowledgable about many subjects.

Now nearly another 15 years has passed and you realize how much hasn't really changed.....the hijackings of planes and blowing them up in the desert there and a year after I graduated and left the Olympics in Munich in 1972....truth is...a short 7 years later there was an incident in Tehran.....some of the dormies had fathers working there.....

And so it goes......

posted Hide Post
Rick:

Thank you for providing the details and your insights on the bust which resulted in the dorms closing back on 1971. Anyone else who has any comments/details on the dorms closing, please post them. (Please though do NOT post names of those who were busted.)

R/Doug '70

posted Hide Post
whoa! I had no idea - and I was there at the time (in Ankara, not the dorms)!! I just figured they had built a new school at Karamursel (a "real" base) and the dormies were moved there at Christmas break because it was ready. Talk about faulty memory! Oh well...
I do remember the problems with the classes being shuffled around - I had to drop "senior math" (altho I was a junior at the time) - but cannot recall what the conflict was with. I also remember learning some introductory calculus as a sort of "independent study" - and I did end up with a full year's credit.

Posts: 12 | Location: Orlando FL | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At one of the reunions I was talking with one of the dormies who was moved from Ankara to Karamursel. I asked him whether Karamursel dormies had access to drugs. And he said that it was no problem. They just went off base and bought the drugs in one of the nearby villages.

posted Hide Post
Doug,
Reading all these topics and posts and references to the reunions is making me regret attending only the first one in '92. In fact if my memory is still intact my brother and I flew with you on a flight out of Baltimore on a Thursday night, arriving in Dallas in time to begin renewing acquaintances that evening at the bar. The entire weekend and experince was both a blur and refreshing. Given the fact that 20 years had already gone by at that time it was all very rewarding.

Missing the reunions of '96,2000, and last years are now beginning to gnaw at me and my reasons and excuses for not attending them are seemingly inadequate right now.

In the interim I am finding this forum here to be quite lively and entertaining.

The names and the faces from the past shine through the years and make themselves come alive here.