AnkaraAlumni.net    The Network & Ankara Post Office    APO Ankara Post Office  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lunchroom    "RIPT" the underground news
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"RIPT" the underground news
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi; I'm nobody, but does anyone remember the underground newspaper titled "Ript"? And did it ever come out who wrote it?? It was inspired by a sit in to protest the exclusion of the American community from the visiting Apollo astronauts. Yes I got to shake hands with Neal Armstrong. George C Marshall was the scene of a great political action driven by some great seniors and juniors. I was sent to participate by a couple of our great teachers, who did not get to savor the fruits our victory and meet the most famous three men of that era.
We did have the luxury of the cream of the crop of American teachers. Don't let us forget their inspirations. They were overseas because they were above the rest. So our school inspired more than the same old meatloaf of run of the mill public education.
Who has a copy of RIPT? Excuse my A.D.D.Wake up and respond! Type your thoughts and remind us of what was going on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kurt Haight '72,

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Kurt. I think RIPT was the work of Bob Bohart, Tom Bohnhorst, Bill Rosen, et al. (1970).

As far as the sit in goes, a few of us began sitting in the halls after lunch ... Dan O'Grady and I brokered the deal with Mr. Cook to get the buses and allow many of us to see the astronauts ... O'G may have more to add.

Happy New Year! See you in Dallas in just a few months!!!

Curt Robinson 1970

Posts: 4 | Location: Davis, California | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Curt - don't think I ever saw a copy of that rag - but the name is certainly suggestive! I remember the sit-down well - my favorite memory was Cook and Weigler tag-teaming to come out a yell at us about the dire consequences of our behavior! Then, I remember putting one of the elementary school kids on my shoulders so they could see Armstrong & Co. over the crowd - I recall being stunned at how short they were, given that they were larger than life heroes in our minds. Didn't know that you and O'Grady had brokered the deal. Let me extend you a belated "thanks" for helping generate one of my lasting memories!

Posts: 21 | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Curt - oh by the way - greetings from a fellow "crony" from the "My Fair Lady" part of A Night on Broadway. I believe it was you, me, and Larry Soboul on "Wouldn't it be Loverly" with Pat Hutton. I still have the TAA program.

Posts: 21 | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the sit down for the astronauts, but I DO remember a sit down we had to win the right for girls to wear slacks....or was it jeans to school. Reading all of this today has definitely inspired me to go home and find my yearbook. Memories are slowly returning...at least those that weren't permanently damaged by some of my extra curricular activities while in Ankara.

Posts: 3 | Location: Leavenworth, KS | Registered: January 28, 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanx to Curt,even though your name is spelled different. It was a great thing you helped to pull off. My thanx to whoever sent me the copy of RIPT. It was a great scan. Looks just like the original complete with Turkish printers typos.We became part of the history of the time when we went to the Hotel to meet the astronauts.

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i wonder if that sit down for the girls cloting choice was the one that was taking place when i first got to George C Marshall? i'm sure it was one of my first couple of days there. i was so shocked by the boldness of all ya'll. i had come from a small, conservative town in the south. what an impression you all made on me. loved it. i remember spiro agnews (sp) visit but not the astronauts. i remember the prom at the buk ankara hotel. camelot theme? i hope they are real memories and not the result of too much fun through the years. love this site.

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I thought the first sit in was to go see the astronauts I don't remember the dress code sit in. So if you graguated in 69' then I must have missed it or I wanted girls to wear dresses. Y'all have such nice legs and all. Attached is the object of this whole file or thread "RIPT" which is what you become when you try Turkish hash. My years of research has taught me this.

posted Hide Post
Our beautiful web site can't handle a big file like RIPT so write to me at: kurt.haight@gmail.com and I will send it to you. It is very interesting and has some great work by some GCM Regional High class of 70' students.

posted Hide Post
Posted at the request of Kurt Haight -
Copy of RIPT - 11/18/69

PDF DocRIPT18November1969[2].pdf (1,221 Kb, 33 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Great Thanks ! to the monitor for adding this very historic document to our Ankara Post. This is a tribute to those great and powerful hard working classmates and peers of ours who accomplished good things for our behalf. This is their evidence nearly thirty seven years later. They were the best of times. I shook hands with Armstrong. Thank you!

!
quote:
Originally posted by APO Admin:
Posted at the request of Kurt Haight -
Copy of RIPT - 11/18/69