Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who remembers...
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I remember taking lessons from Hoga and yes those Blue buses.
Kim Contino and I spent many an afternoon at the stables.
I remember the Kauffmans, Ann Skogerboe ?sp.
Horses, 007, Chilek, Azade, Linda can you remember anymore?
So glad Linda found me and connected me to this site. Memories are flooding back. Smiler

posted Hide Post
I remember the Ultra Violet Toilet Paper band. My brother David (Kubitza) was in it. There were some really great guys in that group. He still talks about it to this day.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert (Bob) Ferrell '75:
Remember every November 10th at 9:00 AM everything in Turkey came to a halt for about 5 minutes, and a siren sounded in recognition of Atturks' death. I remember all the traffic just coming to a stop where ever they were. One of those mornings a friend of mine Bruce Swenson (he had an older sister named Della)let out the biggest yell right at the same time because a fly flew in his mouth when he was trying to stay quite, it was hillarius.

I forgot about that - and all the Turkish holidays..

Posts: 9 | Location: Aurora, Colorado | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Who remebers Turkish Lemon cologne? or Yedi Gun the Turkish 7up? Or just how different but good their Pepsi and Coke were?

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Haight '72:
Who remebers Turkish Lemon cologne? or Yedi Gun the Turkish 7up? Or just how different but good their Pepsi and Coke were?

I remember.....I even liked their potato chips better. And Gazoos (or was it spelled Gazooz, Gazuz ?????)It was good. You learn to appreciate the lemon cologne when you are stuck on a travel bus for almost 12 hours full of older Turkish men and women. They used it by the bottlefull, I do believe, and I am sure it was better than the alternative!

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alice:

About 20 years ago I lived in Maryland and worked in D.C. I was riding the Metro home one evening when I smelled a smell from my distant past -- lemon (limone?) cologne. A well dressed Turkish businessman was sitting in the seat behind me.

Happy holidays,
Doug '70

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 13, 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, they all seemed to like that smell. Actually it is much better (in my opinion) then the rose perfumes that many women wear (or maybe it is just at the airport where I work). One time going back to Ankara from Incirlik, we took a bus, and it had a lot of the small town folk and village folk on it, no city people. Lots and Lots of Lemon Cologne! Come to think of it, Maybe Greyhound should pass it out!

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SMELLS CAN REALLY BRING BACK MEMORIES. a FEW YEARS AGO i WAS OUT CALLING ON GROWERS ONE WINTERY FOGGY DAY NEAR THE TOWN OF HELM, IN THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY. I WAS WALKING AROUND THE FARMERS SHOP BUILDING WHERE THE SMELL OF COAL BURNING STOPPED ME IN MY TRACKS, INSTANLY THE SMELL BROUHT ME BACK TO ANHARA DURING THE WINTER, WHERE THE BROWN COAL SMOKE PERFUMED THE AIR. AND COLORED THE SNOW ON THE STREETS.

Posts: 17 | Location: Kerman, CA | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some interesting flashbacks and memories here. For starters the lemon "perfume" brings back memories of getting haircuts two blocks from where we lived and how they used to liberally apply that when they had finished cutting my hair.

Another familar smell was from the winery just down the hill from the Iraqi embassy and depending on which way the wind was blowing it could be quite pervasive.

As for Yedi Gun.....my father worked for one of those unnamed alpahbet government agencies and his nick name was Yedi Gun, and to this day when he goes to reunions or runs into some of his old crowd he is still called by that name. Of course one of his co-worker's last name was Green and he was called Greenbey....thus you might notice I have borrowed on that theme in creating my screen name here....Satbey.....and most everyone insists on spelling "bey" with an "a".

Someone mentioned the bus rides.....I remember a trip home from Rhodoes and there was a group of us....about 6 or so...traveling up the western coast of Turkey to get back to Izmir and from there take the bus back to Ankara. Just prior to boarding the bus we all shared in a few bottles of some rather cheap and nearly rut gut Turkish wine......and one of our members got quite ill in the middle of the night on the way back.....to the point the bus driver had to pull over so he could pullute the side of the road. Several of the Turkish men were cursing and smacking this guy upside his head as he made his way down the aisle to disembark.....causing the Turkish women to come to his rescue and they began berating the men folk....was quite a scene. The reason for the Turkish men being so upset is......well...let's just say that the bus didn't quite stop in time.

Aaaah........such fond memories.........nothing wrong with these brain cells.

posted Hide Post
I bet some of that lovely lemon cologne was desparately needed for that bus ride!

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
After having raised and raising teenagers the thing I remember most is all the freedoms we were allowed