New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who remembers...
 Login/Join 
posted
- the Ultra Violet Toilet Paper Band!

I think of the band members was Kris Peterson...?

- Mrs. Brown's Christmas Shows and Musicals! I remember rehearsing and having a sold out crowd at the TAA..

- Riding the blue bus to/from school..At the max there were 31 buses lined up. I rode #1 to the Star Apts. By the time 1975 rolled around for the senior year, I think there were only 4 buses.

- For one of the activities in Miss Robbins class, going camping for a week around Turkey and finding archeological digs, in Bodrum the van broke down.

- Having the graduation ceremony at the Ambassador's residence.

- Going to the Officer's Club for Sunday brunch.

- Working at the base library for the summer jobs, which used to be off-base, now located in what was my third grade classroom.

- For the graduation present - going to Israel, by way of a long bus trip to Istanbul..remembering everyone having a gun, including the bus driver.

- Taking horseback riding lessons on base with the Hoja - who used to be in the Turkish Calvary.

One day going back to visit,

Linda Wooten

Posts: 9 | Location: Aurora, Colorado | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Linda,
The original UVTP band was Tom Hace-guitar,
Paul Henry-bass, Delos Gurney-drums. I still have (somewhere) photos shot by Carlos Casto-Valle who also did quite a bit of photos in the yearbook.

posted Hide Post
I remember the name Casto-Valle. Didn't he have a sister?

Posts: 9 | Location: Aurora, Colorado | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, maybe two of 'em Rose Marie i think graduated in '73

posted Hide Post
I remember when there were so many students that it took 31 bvuses to take us home. I also remember how many times my dad ended up as our bus monitor! And finally, the elementary school would become the Headquarters building, and the highschool the elementary, junior high, and high school classes combined, and the building that was suppose to become a junior high, would house the rest of the junior high and high school classes! What a difference! And I remember the graduation at the ambassadors in 1975 for my brothers graduation, and the one in 1976 with an afternoon buffet---with some really great swedish meatballs!

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Linda, I spoke to Tim Gifford before Christmas, and he tells me that you are in Colorado in the Denver Metro Area. I live in Aurora, and I think it would be fun to get together. I have Fridays and Saturdays off right now, but I am looking at them maybe changing to the normal Saturdays and Sundays off. Let me know how close you are. Maybe we can get together. My home phone number is 303-337-7655 and my email address is alicechavez1@yahoo.com.

Alice M. Chavez

Posts: 34 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: November 04, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey there!! Delos Gurney here in WA state checking in. Yup I was the drummer in the UVTP (too embarrased to spell it out)It was Tom Haze, Paul Henrey, Dave Kubutsa and Furguson and myself doing numbers like Purple Haze, Enagadadavida and Smoke on the Water....been some time. Sent notes to Paul and Dave and no return yet...As I'm a ships captain now I'm luckey my sister got me on to this site as I don't get ashore much.
Thanks for your efforts
Delos

Posts: 1 | Location: Mount Vernon, Washington | Registered: November 24, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Alice,
It would be great to meet! I live in Aurora, near the Aurora Mall. I still have all the yearbooks from high school, brochures from Mrs. Brown's Broadway shows, etc. I will have to take a look for your picture. It's been a busy month - I'll give you a call soon.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for writing in - what type of ship are you a captain? I was lucky to be on the Roger Revelle research ship a few summers ago as a passenger. That 340 foot 'ship' got smaller by a foot for every day of the 10 days we were at sea!! But I had a blast and don't regret having the opportunity to participate in some of the research experiments the Woods Hole staff conducted about the ocean.

posted Hide Post
Good Morning, Linda. Sounds like you live close to me. I am off of Chambers and Yale next to Wheel Park and Olympic Park and Ride. I look forward to hearing from you. Alice
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Wooten '75:
Hi Alice,
It would be great to meet! I live in Aurora, near the Aurora Mall. I still have all the yearbooks from high school, brochures from Mrs. Brown's Broadway shows, etc. I will have to take a look for your picture. It's been a busy month - I'll give you a call soon.

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Remember the Ambassador's dog ran around during the graduation? And the '75 speaker was the DEA Agent Sullivan.

posted Hide Post
Now that I have gotten my login fixed I can remember...

I remember when I was a kid all the buses and as the years went along they dwindled down to maybe 4 or 5.

I always enjoyed watching the musical productions and participateing in the drama club with Mr. Atchison.

I remember the graduation at the Ambassador's residence and the dog running around.

I remember the AYA before the NCO club moved on base and took it over.

posted Hide Post
Remember when not only did we have at least 30 school buses, but the parents had to pull bus monitor duty for a week? And Robert, do you remember how many times we were "blessed" with dad as our monitor?...................

Alice M. Chavez

posted Hide Post
Oh Yes...I remember (dreaded those days)

Removed quotes to clean up posting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,

posted Hide Post
Remember every November 10th at 9:00 AM everything in Turkey came to a halt for about 5 minutes, and a siren sounded in recognition of Atturks' death. I remember all the traffic just coming to a stop where ever they were. One of those mornings a friend of mine Bruce Swenson (he had an older sister named Della)let out the biggest yell right at the same time because a fly flew in his mouth when he was trying to stay quite, it was hillarius.