Notify
Tools

Doors
 Login/Join 
posted
Finally listened to The Doors Greatest Hits CD which I got for Christmas

Brings back many high school memories

Good music too -- even my 19 year old daughter likes it

(think Jim Morrison was a military brat -- father was an Admiral).

Doug

posted Hide Post
Hey Doug - I'm sure it was just an oversight - but you didn't mention the obvious Doors memory: The cover of our 1970 yearbook! Can't say that I was a big fan, but I always appreciated Morrison's lyrics. We went to Paris a couple summers ago and I made a point to get a photo at Morrison's grave in Pere LaChaise cemetery (though as a sociologist I was a bit more "awed" by getting a photo myself at Auguste Comte's grave).
I was watching a Biography channel thing the other night about Neil Young - one of the commentators made the case that Buffalo Springfield should have been perhaps bigger than the Doors, if not for their inability to get along with each other. Not sure I agree, but it was an interesting comparison.

Posts: 21 | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When we remember, we ussually attach it to music or smells. The Doors were around, but Jimi Hendrix really dominated until Led Zepplin.So when ever I hear certain L.Z. or Jimi Hendrix songs I can smell ekmek or Gazos. Jim Morrison was probably a Navy officer brat. That may explain why he exposed himself masterbating in front of the audience in Miami??? Where ever? No smells come to mind about that

Removed duplication of original message.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,

Posts: 37 | Location: Riverside,California | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can you picture what will be
so limitless and free.
Desperately in need
of some stranger's hand
in a desperate land.

Posts: 4 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend
The end

posted Hide Post
i was a dormie from peshawar, west pakistan. there wasn't a whole lot to do there...the pool, the movies, the bowling alley, no AYA. venturing outside the 12 foot brick wall with barbed wire on top wasn't do-able without parental units, a car and a pakistani driver. going to the "fex" and flipping thru albums was a good way to pass time (in air conditioned comfort). i had no idea who the doors were, but the cover was interesting. had no idea who hendrix was...liked the coat he was wearing (on are you experienced?)...sat on the floor for hours, in front of the portable stereo with the fold down turntable, listening to jim and jimi. literally wore out the needle. i heard a lot of amazing music for the first time in pakistan. anyone remember where they were when they first heard the beatles? i was on okinawa.

posted Hide Post
I can remember the 1st time I heard "Come Together". It was at the AYA, Friday night dance. I do not remember the name of the band which always played at the dances, but my recollection is that the drummer was a student at GCM. This band always started the dance with the same song, "Glad", or "I'm so Glad". I thought they were the greatest band ever. Back to the Beatles...When the AFX finally received their few copies of Abbey Road, it was the 1st Beatle album I ever bought. Paid $2.50 for it, and would spend hours laying on my bed, listening and studying the album cover. Now, over 30 years later, I sit in my office, dressed in coat and tie, with an Abbey Road mouse paid and screen saver, framed picture of the four over my credenza. Two things in life still give me goose bumps after so many years, listening to Abbey Road, and the gentle touch of my wife. Heard enough?

Posts: 4 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That would be I'm So Glad by Cream, Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker. Great song.

Posts: 28 | Location: Federal Way, WA | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
so, judy,was that on disraeli gears? weren't they like the first power trio? can't remember the third guy. i wanna say steve winwood, but i don't think so.

posted Hide Post
I'm So Glad was on Fresh Cream. I'm not sure who the bassist was. Steve Winwood was in Blind Faith with Clapton and Baker after being in the Spencer Davis Group and Traffic. He got around.

Posts: 28 | Location: Federal Way, WA | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
whoa. i kinda meshed cream and blind faith. it's been awhile. the bass was jack bruce. had to go look it up...t'was making me crazy. always got him and ginger baker confused...wanting to call them jack baker and ginger bruce. go figure.

posted Hide Post
To this day, the guitar solo on Crossroads, off of Cream's Disraeli Gears, sends chills down my spine. Just like it did the first time I heard it, at GCM in Ankara. Clapton is God. Smiler

Posts: 3 | Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
anyone remember the band that played at the dances there? "oxygen" was the turkish band playing all music of the era....led by infamous "teddy" or tezar....and then there was "kachina" with the hutton siblings tim and laura maybe....by way of canada...and mike davis was on drums.....i am missing someone ...or maybe even two more

posted Hide Post
Do I remember Oxygen!! They did GREAT versions of several songs off of the first Chicago album "Chicago Transit Authority" (after the album release, the real CTA made them change their name, hence "Chicago" became their name. At least the real city of Chicago did'nt seem to mind the name borrowing. They were my first exposure to really good live music.

Posts: 1 | Location: Cocoa, Florida | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
cary lunsford was an amazing drummer...maybe for kachina. anyone remember the chocolate bluesberry? bob doerschuk on keyboards...he played the cafeteria piano with the flannel cover over the keys one day...blew this 16 year old kid away. mark davis played guitar. can't remember exactly whitch band. seems like more than one. scott tucker ring a bell with anyone? in '68 the stars and stripes (newspaper) showed up to do a story on dormie life. january '69 we were transfered from west pakistan to darmstadt, w. germany...quite near the stars and stripes offices. i got 8x10 glossies of the photos. i'll eventually find them and pass them around. i remember one with scott tucker playing the dorm piano. wow. this is really going to bug me until i find them.