The Network & Ankara Post Office
Pinning the blame....

This topic can be found at:
http://ankaraalumni.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4710015752/m/5220073962

September 13, 2004, 02:12 PM
Tim Conner '66
Pinning the blame....
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17390

And make no mistake, there is blame to be accepted, even if the current (P)resident won't admit errors, one can only hope the ultimate accountability will be in November.
The big negative is that Kerry is the one the hopes are pinned on.
The above article is from the New York Review of Books.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallmonitor,
September 13, 2004, 04:31 PM
Judy Scholes '64
I am about half way through the 9/11 Commission Report and am finding it a fascinating, highly readable book.
September 13, 2004, 07:07 PM
Tim Conner '66
I was put off by the size of the thing as well as being about four books behind already. PLease give me your opinion of what you've read so far?
September 13, 2004, 10:59 PM
Judy Scholes '64
All I tried to do was bold a word and I lost my entire message. I am prefacing this one with that information so I don't look like a wierdo if the first shows up.

I get the book thing. I had a small stack on my night table and came home last weekend with four David Sedaris books from my daughter. Now I have a mountain of unread books.

The 9/11 Commission Reports reads like a first rate suspense novel. I'm at the point where the pilots are completing their flight training. It's like one of those books that gives you the ending at the beginning and it simply enhances the story. You might suspect it is so much minutia but I am fascinated.

Richard Clarke is like a man screaming into the wind but Clinton and his administration come off as genuinely anxious about terrorism but maybe a little hesitant.
September 15, 2004, 12:35 AM
Dave Byers '66
Well, For those of us who remember that great war, Viet Nam and the Domino theory, and for something else that may be just as scary, read President Johnsons state of the Union from 1967. Towards the bottom of the state of the Union you may become scared. (You could almost replace the word Viet Nam for Iraq)

http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/archives.hom/speeches.hom/670110.asp

And my friends wonder why I am against President(s) Bush and Cheney's policies and their holy war for Oil and Souls. (Both are big money cash cows)

I remember that from High School that history repeats its self, if we forget. Today it seems that we forgot, we are now repeating it. How many young lives will we lose this time. I think, but am not sure, that the class of 1966 and 1967 lost several of its members (and my friends) to Viet-Nam.

Today I am still paying for the Very Stupid descisions on how we prosecuted that war. (Agent Orange, it is so safe that you could drink it like a glass of orange juice. Don't fly arround in a helicopter when the big "Orange" C-123 comes by to defoliate the jungle but not harm the people. Surprise surprise surprise. Orange-out in the cockpit ) Decisions that were made when we had no say (No Vote).

Remember to Vote. It is the only way that we know we are Americans in our Republic. (Political Influence - It is not for sale) Besides, we probably don't have enough money to buy a 1000 books written by some politicians wife. Sorry guys, I think its time for some more of my wacky pills)

I pray every night that no more young men and women will die or become maimed or ill because some people in America think that our way is the only way and our God will beat up their God.

I lost a lot of good acquaintenances in that war, and I refuse to sit and be quiet in this one.

Dave Byers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Byers '66,

Some how, History is starting to repeat itself

September 15, 2004, 11:19 AM
Tim Conner '66
Thanks for the link the LBJ speech. It is chilling to think that the excuses and deflections to justify war have not changed much in 40 years. Maybe we are not as smart as we might think?
September 15, 2004, 06:38 PM
John Burgess '65
For those with broadband connections to the internet, you can get a full copy of the 9/11 Commission report at their site.

I thought the report was very comprehensive and thorough. They found no "smoking gun" to place in the hand of either Clinton or Bush, but plenty of problems in the way the gov't communicates with itself.

The report does a good job, too, of clearing up a lot of "facts" that fall into the urban legend realm. The report is a slog to read, but I really do think everyone should take the time and effort to read. Get it free--and spend time scrolling your screen--or pay $10 for one of the several paperback editions. But get it and read it.
January 10, 2005, 06:59 PM
Steve Hatt '63
Dave,
What you remember from HS is that history is bound to repeat itself, especially for those who have not and perhaps can not read it for themselves in the first place.
January 21, 2005, 06:01 PM
Brad Buchner '70
I came upon this quote from John Quincy Adams - made in 1821 - and was stunned by it:

On July 4, 1821, Secretary of State (and later President) J.Q. Adams said of America:
"She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She will recommend the
general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her own example.
She well knows that by once enlisting under banners other than her own, were they even the
banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, ambition, which assumed the colors and usurped the standards of freedom. . .She might become the dictatress of the world.
She would no longer be the ruler of her own spirit."

Is it just me - or was JQA forseeing the distant future??
February 03, 2005, 05:55 PM
Douglas Larson '70
Brad, in addition to JQA was HL Mencken also a "sage, seer and soothsayer"?

On July 26, 1920, HL Mencken wrote in The Evening Sun:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more
and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and
glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright
moron."
February 04, 2005, 08:09 AM
Roger Redwanski '68
The entire quote is:

The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"