Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Draft is Coming Back
 Login/Join 
posted
I don't know how many of us made it Nam, but we all know what happened. Do you know that the draft is coming back - but this time without any deferments so to speak, and "for any purpose," not to fight Alcada, or Iraq. S89 (Senate) and HR163 (House) lay out the whole thing. Find your Senator and Representative at www.thomas.loc.gov and see what position they are taking. Or better yet, write to them and tell them yours!

posted Hide Post
Alan,
When I click on that link it doesn't go anywhere. Hey guys, is this happening to only me?

I believe my number in the draft was 312. With that I breathed a sigh of relief. I really would hate to see any of it reinstated.

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Kashdan '63:
I don't know how many of us made it Nam, but we all know what happened. Do you know that the draft is coming back - but this time without any deferments so to speak, and "for any purpose," not to fight Alcada, or Iraq. S89 (Senate) and HR163 (House) lay out the whole thing. Find your Senator and Representative at http://www.thomas.loc.gov and see what position they are taking. Or better yet, write to them and tell them yours!

Posts: 16 | Location: California | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well m'am, I really don't think this link is going to work. http://www.thomas.loc.gov is not a domain at all. If you have a domain that ends with .gov, it has to be something like ca.gov, or il.gov, or mn.gov. I don't think there is a state call "loc". I also tried .com and .net that didn't work either. I would like to know about this story can you check the link again please.

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Correct link is
http://thomas.loc.gov/

posted Hide Post
Interesting, that I didn't "see" you as logged in, but there you are with the correct link.....

Here is some more information about the Senate Bill

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 89

To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The state of Israel has universal military service as I recall. While I don't want to see anyone dead the other guys don't have the same humanitarian outlook towards us. If we don't defend ourselves who will?

I've checked both bills and they are very similar at first glance. Not sure if there are any substantive differences or not.

Also not sure how the votes are stacking up for this but I would think that given the situation that exists today our lawmakers would be profoundly remiss not to consider very seriously a return to universal military or similar type service.

Remember, we are in a fight for our lives and our way of life. It probably won't be settled for several generations. I really believe it is going to take 100 years, maybe more and settle out in ways we can't imagine at this time.

Posts: 20 | Location: Melbourne Beach, FL | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You are right Bill, and I agree, we need to have a universal military. As you state the Israeli's have been doing this for years, and it seems to work quite well too. However, I have met some of the people who fled Israel, and wound up in the US for that very reason.

posted Hide Post
Okay, who wants to offer up their 18-year-old son? not me! And God help us if the mess in Iraq is the way we are "fighting for our way of life".

Posts: 29 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mary in Ann Arbor,

I went to school at Eastern. My son now works in Ann Arbor at NSF labs. I Would never offer him up as a sacrifice any more than my folks would have me when I went to Vietnam. But in case you missed it the terrorists want to destroy our way of life and create Islamic governments everywhere. They are perfectly willing to do this by using one suicide bomber after another and lopping off one infidel head at a time. Like it or not we've got a mess on our hands. Maybe Iraq was a mistake but just sitting and waiting for the next attack is a bigger one.

Of-course I'm sure that you won't find more than a dozen or so folks in ultra-liberal Ann Arbor who would agree with anything I say, especially when I suggest that the only way to win is to make more of them suffer than us. There are going to be a lot of dead people on both sides before this is settled.

And go State!

Posts: 20 | Location: Melbourne Beach, FL | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill. Actually, Ann Arbor is not the "ultra liberal" place you might imagine. (Lots of folks in that lucky upper tax-bracket with all the breaks:-) But I don't think one has to be ultra-liberal to be concerned about the policies of the current administration. Nor do I think that "just waiting for the next terrorist attack" is the only alternative to sending more and more young bodies into this mire. Thanks for rooting for State--I'm an MSU alum! When you went to Eastern, were you Hurons or Eagles?

Posts: 29 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Mary,

I was a Huron. That pack of politically correct weenies at EMU are still out looking for a backbone and an identity of their own. U of M casts a large shadow in Michigan.

My daughter is a State grad now living in Chicago. Great town for young people.

Let me know when the snow start flying. I moved down here from Rochester Hills 3 years ago. That was after 29 years in law enforcement in a suburb in the Detroit area. Ever hear of Huntington Woods?

I'm always curious how anybody with our backgrounds ends living a given place. What's your story?

posted Hide Post
My family lived in East Lansing before and after we lived in Turkey--my dad was a prof at MSU who worked with AID in Turkey. Before we lived in ELansing we lived in Denton Texas (another college town). Of course I've heard of Huntington Woods. Do you miss Michigan ever? I don't mind the snow up here but the lack of sunny days starts to weigh on you around February, do you remember? I figured you for a Huron--I'm sort of a politically correct weenie myself, but I didn't go to EMU so I could be more detached about it--most of the alum I know hated that name-change too. How did you end up in Michigan?

posted Hide Post
Mary,

Ended up in Michigan as Dad was assigned as advisor to Michigan ANG. Was just there a year and he was sent to Shaw AFB in South Carolina. I stayed in Michigan as I had been accepted at Eastern after getting my grades back up from Munich by going to Port Huron JC. And no, I don't miss the winters at all. Some of my friends and the people I worked with yes, but not Michigan. If we go for 3 days without sunshine it's a bad day down here. Funny how I could spend so much time there and it never felt like home.

posted Hide Post
It is indeed a small world Bill - I did a couple years of grad school at Eastern in the early 80s. Ann Arbor indeed casts a long shadow there. I was there when the Hurons broke the longest losing streak in the NCAA! As for the draft - it took me many years to mull things over after NAM - but I finally concluded that there should be some form of universal service required. I don't think it should be limited to military service though. I'm a college professor, and I'm appalled at the degree to which young people think society is a free ride - that they owe nothing to the society they live in. Actually, I think mandatory public service ought to extend beyond youth. Perhaps all able-bodied citizens should be obligated to donate a week of their time each year to some kind of public service. Maybe it would help cure the apathy!

Posts: 21 | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With Quote