The Network & Ankara Post Office
Bush Cheney Kerry Edwards

This topic can be found at:
http://ankaraalumni.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4710015752/m/4050092662

September 03, 2004, 12:46 AM
Dave Byers '66
Bush Cheney Kerry Edwards
What an election:

Tonight I watched The President give a speech, But I digress.

I have been taking in kids since the 70's - Foster Kids, Run aways, kids from organizations that I have belonged to. I raised my great-nephew or should I say I helped him complete High School.

Tonight, while we were preparing to go back to the 1840's fur trading and rondevousing, I wondered if he knew who was the Secretary of Defence when Bush senior was president. No, - But he was young then. I told him VP was. Did he know who the Vice President was. He said he did not know his name. This was very disapointing to me. I do not know why he did not know who the Vice President was or what he did. Don't you read the News Papers, or listen to the news.

How did this kid make it through high school. I think now I am frustrated because at dinner we would occasionaly talk about the events of the day.

I thought that he was unique. He had his girl friend with him and I asked her who the Vice President was and she said Bush. Who is running the country. She said Cheney! Well that may be true, but I can not beleive that in this day and time of year with all the politics going on that these two did not know even names.

Is there any wonder why Rush Mushmouth has ditto heads. They are to lazy to think for their selves.
September 03, 2004, 09:20 PM
Douglas Larson '70
Taking in all of those kids -- you are a special person, Dave.

Take care,
Doug '70
September 05, 2004, 01:12 PM
John Burgess '65
I don't think I've ever heard Limbaugh in my life, but from what I've read/heard of him, I'm not particularly impressed.

He seems, though, to have started something: a conservative voice in the media. In itself, that's not a bad thing. If he asks questions that the mainstream media isn't asking, that's all to the better. As far as "dittoheads" go, all I'll say is that "sheeple" come in all political stripes and colors. A glance as any of the indymedia sites should be adequate proof that the left is equally ignorant.

But your point about what people do/don't/should/could know is a good one.

I've a 19-y/o son, just starting his sophomore year in university. He has been lucky enough to go to absolutely terrific schools. But a school is only as good as the combination of students, faculty, facilities and curriculum at any given time. All, of course, must be supplemented by what parents provide.

He's been lucky in that regard, too, as he's been given lots of chances to add to what he's learned in schools--a good thing when you consider that he studied in the UK for nine years, where they have a decidedly peculiar slant on American history and politics!

I know he has gaps in his knowledge of the US--with those spaced being taken up by equivalent knowledge about the UK. But he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know and act to fix it. He reads--with some "encouragement" from home--American history texts, takes political science courses, and reads the papers when he's not otherwise engaged.

He's not inclined toward a political career, so I'm not particularly concerned about his present lacunae. He'll fill in what he needs in his own areas of interest.

Kids, I think, can be encouraged to expand their realms of experience and knowledge, but they can't be forced into it. They need to be seduced, tempted, tantalized. And it takes people like Doug to do that.
September 11, 2004, 09:23 AM
Douglas Magrath '67
When I came back to the states, I noticed that most people do not read their own newspapers, watch their own TV news or listen to the news on the radio.later on o discovered the 'alternative media", which provides a different view to that espoused by the "Clinton News Network" and its clones.
dmagrath
December 16, 2004, 10:24 PM
Kurt Haight '72
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Magrath '67:
When I came back to the states, I noticed that most people do not read their own newspapers, watch their own TV news or listen to the news on the radio.later on o discovered the 'alternative media", which provides a different view to that espoused by the "Clinton News Network" and its clones.
dmagrath
If you want liberal points of view try N.P.R. even though there is a Republican in the white house the liberals still run national public radio. I listen to that and its just as slanted as Rush only the other way. They have freedom of speech.
December 17, 2004, 09:08 AM
Douglas Magrath '67
Eduational Radio and NET are good ways to see the Left's view of things.We don't have the Stars and Stripes to tell us the Truth anymore, but some of the shows on FoxNews are informative.I suppose FoxNews has become the new AFRTS.
dmagrath
January 07, 2005, 10:01 PM
John Burgess '65
I subscribe to my local paper for local news. It's part of the NY Times family, so most of the Op-Eds come from the Times, or other members of that family, like the Boston Globe.

Don't watch TV much, but FOX does have the most balanced programming. At least it's easier to separate the agenda-chaff from actual news-wheat.

Most of the time, though, I use the Internet to read the major papers from around the country--and several foreign countries as well.

There's also a handful of weblogs that I read daily because they're coming from people whose opinions I respect, even if I don't always agree with them. They're predominantly American, though I've several Aussie and British blogs I always read.

Now that I'm retired, I can read for free, instead of getting paid to do it!