Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Ivan
 Login/Join 
posted
Here's a link to the Hurricane Ivan tracking maps. Hope Ivan's 160 mph winds abate substantially before landfall. Reports this morning say this storm "has damaged 90 percent of Grenada's homes." Ouch!

posted Hide Post
I was just reading about that on USA Today. Wow that thing is packing a wollop.

I don't believe Florida will be high on my list of retirement areas. Sorry to all you Floridians out there.

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"

Posts: 54 | Location: Fieldsboro, NJ | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
While I've only been in Florida for about four months, two hurricanes have definitely caught my attention. It so happens that I'll be in DC for a conference when Ivan is scheduled to pay a call. If my place is still standing when I get back, I guess I can stick around. If the apartment complex is flattened, then my options become both wider and easier to take!

Of course, given the current route of the storm, I may have trouble getting back here come next Wednesday...

Posts: 33 | Location: Sarasota, FL | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well John, can't believe your luck sir. You think you are in the right place then the place changes. Happens all the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: APO Admin,

Imageubbivan.jpg (38 Kb, 51 downloads) map.jpg

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Be careful all of you Floridians! I wish I were closer, 'cause I'd offer you a place to ride it out! You're in my prayers -- Suze

posted Hide Post
I am wondering if Arizona would be a good place to live? I mean I hate dry weather, but 3 hurricanes are a bit too much.The rivers in Volusia county are rising and worse.
dmagrath

Posts: 19 | Location: Daytona. FL | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well sir, you can't get away from it all, there are flash floods in AZ. Oh, and did I mention the HEAT!

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After what Charley did it Punta Gorda, real estate should be pretty cheap. Of course construction costs--with the inevitable, new hurricane-proof construction standards--may push costs up considerably.

Posts: 33 | Location: Sarasota, FL | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About tape residue -- one good thing is the same solvent that they use to remove bandage residue from skin. I think you can get it at the pharmacy. Might also try orange solvent. Good luck on that.

posted Hide Post
Nail polish remover works, too.

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 13, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I FIND IT ODD THAT PLACES THAT NOT-INFREQUENTLY GET HIT BY HURRICANES (FL,AL,LA,MS,GA,SC,ETC.) DON'T HAVE HURRICANE SHUTTERS AND OTHER PROTECTIVE MEASURES. WHEN I WAS STATIONED ON OKINAWA AND AT GUAM, THAT WAS STANDARD. I HAVE LIVED IN FL,GA,SC,TX(PLUS OTHER STATES) AND HAD TO GO OUT FOR WINDOW BOARDS AND HOPE FOR THE BEST, USUALLY LUCKY!

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With Quote
<Vicki Preston 65>
posted
Gail,
How did your area fare with the continuing hurricane storms? Ivan seems to have tried to hit as many states as possible!