New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frances
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good Luck to All.
If you want to go further North we have 2 extra bedrooms.

gail

Posts: 8 | Location: King George, VA | Registered: September 03, 2004Reply With Quote
<Vicki Preston 65>
posted
Gail, is your son still in Florida? Did he survive the last storm there ok?

posted Hide Post
They did survive. Without electric for 4 days,
and no water. But house and other stuff in tact.
Change of subject -- I'm tired of all these disasters. Just back from my brother-in-laws funeral!!
Today is my Birthday......57

Posts: 8 | Location: King George, VA | Registered: September 03, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sarasota, on the SW Gulf Coast, has luckily dodged the bullet again....

We've been seeing storm bands passing through--very quickly--that carry rain and some strong winds, up to about 50 mph. The wind has been strong enough to knock out power for some sections of Sarasota Co., but I've only had flickers, just strong enough to force me to reboot the PC, or have to re-turn-on the TV.

So far, so good. But I watch the local weather reports--which are 24-hr, non-stop hurricane coverage--every hour or so.

A great site to check is the National Hurricane Center. They have regularly updated advisories, predictions, discussions and maps. Off to the left are links to various kinds of satellite imagery. Quite enough to keep any science or weather wonk happy for hours!

Posts: 33 | Location: Sarasota, FL | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have been watching this thing develop...wow looks like you will need, either a small boat, or some water-wings, and that's just to go outside. Take care everyone in FLA. Man, we sure could use some of that rain here in CA. This has NOT been a good month for peace and quite. We are burning up here, and you are getting very, very wet on the east coast. Be very careful everyone! God Speed.

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm back. Been in the house since last Monday. Just got eclectric Saturday evening and cable is back today. Don't even have to boil the water anymore.

Posts: 20 | Location: Melbourne Beach, FL | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it through okay, Bill. Did you have a lot of damage?

Posts: 33 | Registered: September 13, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill-- Boiling water....wow that was a flashback to Turkey. When we couldn't get over to the Billits to get water I would see my mother doing that. Glad you are OK. You you didn't have any house damage???

Posts: 61 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had some facia and soffit blow away. The screened in porch has some bent aluminum framing, and the wooden fence is destroyed. But, the roof remained without damage and no windows broken. Some damage to my car from flying debris where we went to evacuate but all-in-all not bad. Lot's of folks with lots more damage. Things are now in the repair and replace process. Should be busy for a while to come. Think I'll invest in some storm shutters for this place. Smiler

Posts: 20 | Location: Melbourne Beach, FL | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yay, Bill. I think of you almost daily, since hurricanes have becomes of a part of the national psyche. So happy to hear that you survived and are getting it back together. Give us some details!

Posts: 28 | Location: Federal Way, WA | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very well, you have made your bones in FL now. I guess that's what they say there. There is no telling how Ivan will act. I hope he doesn't change course on those weather guys. Great to hear that news Bill. I'm a worrier. Thanks for the good news. There are a lot of people, from Ankara, in Florida now.

posted Hide Post
OK I can take the Florida heat and I can handle the humidity and the hurricanes are a fact of life, but the cold showers....well that was a bit more than I can handle...twice a day for a week.............

Posts: 15 | Location: Leesburg, VA | Registered: August 31, 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Miss a day of reading and come back to good news!!
Glad you made out with things that can be taken care of .... and the most important that you are ok!!

posted Hide Post
Bill,
Just figured out how to use this APO thing. Why are IT people so cryptic?

Since your last posting on 9/13, Jeanne buzzed through your neighborhood, too, right? Are you still standing?

posted Hide Post
Yep, still standing. Came through beautifully in fact. Minor problems that we can live with. I will say that watching 100+mph winds is most impressive.

quote:
Originally posted by George Atchley '65:
Bill,
Just figured out how to use this APO thing. Why are IT people so cryptic?

Since your last posting on 9/13, Jeanne buzzed through your neighborhood, too, right? Are you still standing?