The Network & Ankara Post Office
Frances

This topic can be found at:
http://ankaraalumni.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2770069652/m/4800067462

September 01, 2004, 08:58 AM
Bill Allen '65
Frances
Well, this time it's my turn to face a major hurricane. Looks like the thing is going to come right on top of Melbourne Beach. So, Peggy and I have decided to get off the island and stay with a friend on the mainland. She, the friend, is the director of an assisted living facility for the elderly and the building is designed to withstand sustained winds of 140mph. And that is what we are supposed to get. Hope that the house survives in some form. Right now it is time to move everything off of the walls and into closets and tubs for safety. Little stuff goes into the safe deposit box. Oh, I just checked the tide charts and the storm and high tide are both due at the same time. So with my elevation of about 12ft it could get very dicey here. I'm really hoping the elevation is a little more than that. And while I don't dislike South Carolina I'd really prefer that Frances take that track. Will keep you posted as I get opportunity.
September 01, 2004, 09:08 AM
Wray Woolley '66
South Carolina is getting their share, that's for sure Bill. We hope all is well when this is over. Good luck to you sir.

September 01, 2004, 09:08 AM
Sue Talbot '65
My thoughts and prayers go with you Floridians! And I thought WE had it hard here in the Land of Oz with the tornados playing about! Keep us posted.

Suze Talbot ('65)
September 01, 2004, 10:09 AM
Roger Redwanski '68
Just reading about Frances. Looking pretty nasty. Hope all you Floridians come through unscathed. Anyone else along the eastern seaboard look out.

We'll get the remanants of the storm up here early next week.

Alas!!! More rain.

Roger Redwanski - Class of "68"
"Never argue with the person packing your parachute"
September 01, 2004, 03:12 PM
Judy Scholes '64
Good luck to you and Peggy, Bill. Glad to see you take these things seriously!
September 01, 2004, 03:54 PM
Bill Allen '65
Yep, we take 'em serious. This has the potential to be as bad or worse than Charlie. I say this because it going to cross some really warm water. Was diving West Palm Beach last weekend and the water was 86 top to bottom. That might help fuel the beast. We have to evacuate tomorrow afternoon. Won't be allowed back on the island until electric and water are under control. Will keep you posted as I can. Might even be another Andrew. Sure hope not. One of the forecasted tracks has the thing coming ashore right here in Melbourne/Melbourne Beach. Is interesting to see how many homes, mine included do not have hurricane shutters. If I get through this season I will get some before next season. And if not will have them installed when I rebuild.
September 02, 2004, 09:25 AM
Mike Morrison, '64
I went out to the weather on the WWW, and they make it sound as if Frances isn't even around. This is a drag and drop of what I found for Melbourne Beach today...
Today: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. High 89F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening. Skies will become partly cloudy after midnight. Low 79F. Winds NE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

And the Truth is?????????

Mike Morrison
September 02, 2004, 11:25 AM
Bill Allen '65
And the truth is...it's for real. Now the forecasted arrival on shore has moved north a little from West Palm Beach to Stuart. WPB is about 100 miles south of us. Stuart is maybe 80 or so miles. Either way as it travels north we will be in the zone for hurricane force winds. And Melbourne is still one of the possible areas for it to come ashore. If it hits here with winds of 145mph or more it will most likely be devastating for us, Peggy and I that is. Gusts were down a little bit from 170 to 165. Guess we'll take any break we can get. And there is still the possibility that it will not hit us at but take a Floyd type track offshore. That's not likely. At any rate, without shutters or plywood for the windows and doors all we can do is hope that it goes somewhere else. We'll know if it is really bad because we won't be able to get back onto the island for several days while they sort out the water and electric issues. weather underground this is a pretty good weather site. Just check the tropical storm info or hurricane Frances. Also intellicast.com is good as well as the NOAA site.
September 02, 2004, 02:56 PM
Judy Scholes '64
Bill, are you writing from home or are you settled in to your evacuation location?
September 02, 2004, 05:04 PM
Lyn Viles '66
Here's an interesting satellite photo of Frances approaching the coast. That view only works during daylight hours. Here's the nightime view

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lyn Viles '66,
September 02, 2004, 06:02 PM
Bill Allen '65
Judy,

We are still at home. Leave here tomorrow morning about 10Am to get off the island and into a storm shelter. We are fortunate that one of neighbors is the director of an assisted living facility and that is where we will be. It's only 10 minutes from here but it is a new building designed to withstand sustained winds of 140 mph. I'm hoping they built a little fudge factor into their construction. I think that once we leave here it will be several days before we get back and most likely longer before we have electric and cable restored. This is a dangerous storm and the closer it gets the more anxious I get. The hard part is not knowing what we will be returning to if anything at all. We are about as prepared as we can be. Have taken everything off the walls and tried to store it in safe places. Like in one of the cars, stove, dishwasher, microwave, closets, drawers, you name we likely have something stashed there. It's not unlike moving. Just no good outcome at the end. I will be surprised if there aren't some deaths associated with this. Not us mind but there are those who choose to try and ride these things out. Peggy and I have our tails between our legs and are trying to get out of harms way. Wish us luck I think we are going to need it.
September 02, 2004, 06:44 PM
Peggy Bryant '65
Hi Bill,
Frances is soon to become a Level 5 Hurricain---get out-a-there, be safe!I hope no surfer will decide to take advantage of the big waves--there are a few lunitics still out there! Keep us posted..Take care,
Peggy
September 02, 2004, 09:45 PM
Douglas Larson '70
A classmate of mine (Renee Cole '70) and her family live in Vero Beach. I found it on a Florida map and said a little prayer for her.

Doug '70
September 02, 2004, 09:52 PM
<Vicki Preston 65>
Bill, Peggy, and everyone else heading for cover, we will be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers.
September 03, 2004, 06:48 AM
Bill Allen '65
Vicki, hope that all goes well for you and Gregor on your pending move. Now things have changed again with Frances. Winds are down and the track is further south bringing it onshore at Fr. Pierce. Vero was the projected impact.

Doug, hope that your friend Renee survives this in good shape. We have reason to be optimistic at this point. But with these storms change is one thing you rely on. Yesterday's pessimism is slowly being replaced with cautious optimism.

Now we wait and see what happens with Ivan now formed off the Cape Verde islands. Same place Frances formed. Yep, this is the heigth of hurricane season.

With any luck at all, will be in touch in a few days, Now is time to get off the island and into the shelter.