AnkaraAlumni.net    The Network & Ankara Post Office    APO Ankara Post Office  Hop To Forum Categories  The Snack Bar    Paulette Tokar '67 & New Orleans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paulette Tokar '67 & New Orleans
 Login/Join 
posted
Paulette Tokar '67 and Mike Smith '73 are the only two alumni we're aware of who resided in New Orleans proper. Although we've not heard from Mike directly, we know he and his wife evacuated prior to Katrina and are with his in-laws. Earlier today we received a note from Paulette.

Posted at the request of Paulette Tokar, class of 67. (Please hit "Contact Us" at the bottom of the APO if you'd like Paulette's email address.)

I evacuated from New Orleans to Raleigh North Carolina , a dear friend's house.

I left with my cat KiKi, my car and two changes of clothing. I am deeply saddened about my house being under 17 feet of water.....I live near the 17th Street canal. I drove cross country with my bad back and sheer will. For friends that don't know, I broke my back several years ago.

My daughter and her family are in California with my mother and sister Robyn. They had to stay behind to keep her husband's hotel....full of personnel from two hotels and the CNN crew.. to keep all fed.
Police came in the kitchen as he cooked and handed my son-in-law his gun and told him"protect your family".."I am quitting"...The water kept rising in the hotel and they got out after walking in the nasty water for quite a while..to hitch a ride on a flat bed truck.

As another friend left the city...several mothers begged him to take their babies so they would live. They knew they would die standing on the hot pavement where they had been evacuated to...some perished.
The rescue response was hideous. Just hideous. People dying after the hurricane because the gvt wasn't there to help them. I saw things I will forever have embedded in my memory. I can't find peace in spite of being safe. Last night was the first time in one week I managed to sleep for a few hours in a row.

Peace to all....please post so my friends can call. I need the warmth.
Paulette

This message has been edited. Last edited by: APO Admin,